This rice salad boasts some unique flavors in the form of beluga lentils, crispy shallots, pistachio and an orange vinaigrette!
For the salad:
- 1/4 cup beluga lentils
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1 1/4 cups water, divided
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup diced English cucumber
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 3/4 cup shallots, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp finely minced shallot
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the lentils. Pick any debris out of the lentils then add lentils and 1/2 cup water to small saucepan, preferably one with a glass lid. Cover and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for 25 minutes or until lentils are tender and water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Cook the rice. Add rice, 3/4 cup water and salt to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10-12 minutes until water is absorbed. Transfer rice to a medium mixing bowl.
- Make the vinaigrette. While the lentils are looking mix the orange juice, vinegar, honey, minced shallot and orange zest in a small bowl. Whisk in the oil until well combined. Set aside.
- Fry the shallots. Toss the shallots and in the flour to coat. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots to the pan and spread into a single layer. Cook for 3 minutes until they begin to turn golden brown. Carefully flip using a pair of tongs and continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from pan and drain on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Assemble the salad. Add the lentils, tomatoes and cucumber to the bowl with the rice. Mix well. Add the pistachios, feta, orange zest and dressing. Toss to coat everything. Divide between 2-3 serving bowls and top with crispy shallots just before serving.
If you don’t want to fry the shallots you can buy high-quality crispy onions, I like Whole Foods 365 brand and toast them for a few minutes to get them extra crispy.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 485
Keywords: rice salads, vegetarian salads