Roasted butternut squash forms the base this delicious savory dessert that’s topped with pomegranate simple syrup!
For the crust:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 ounces butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 ounces cold water
For the filling:
- 1 1/4 cup cubed butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pomegranate simple syrup
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- Heat the oven. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roast the squash. Add the squash and oil to a large mixing bowl. Toss to coat. Place on a baking sheet with sides and roast for 30 minutes.
- Make the crust. While the squash is roasting, prepare the tart crust by placing the flour salt and sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a standard blade. Pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse until a small, pea-like meal forms. With the motor running, slowly add the water. Continue to process just until a ball forms.
- Roll the dough. Turn the dough ball out onto a surface lightly coated with flour and roll to approximately 1/4″ thick. Coat 2 mini tart pans with cooking spray. Cut dough in half (depending on how you rolled, you may have to take up the scraps and re-roll for the 2nd tart). Press the dough into each tart pan, being sure to come all the way up the sides. Piece the bottom with a fork a few times or use pie weights to keep the dough from puffing.
- Pre-bake the tart shells. When the squash is done remove it from the oven and bake the tarts (dough only) for 15 minutes.
- Make the filling. While the tart shells are cooking add the squash to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a standard blade. Pulse for 1-2 minutes. Scrape down the sides. Add the cream cheese, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and salt. Process until smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
- Fill the tarts. Remove the pre-baked tart shells from the oven and divide the butternut squash mixture between the two of them. Return them to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve. When the tarts are done baking remove them from the oven and let them cool slightly. Carefully remove the tarts from the pans. Top with simple syrup and pomegranate seeds. Serve immediately.