This stacked Caprese salad is topped with avocado and a traditional basil pesto then drizzled with balsamic glaze for the ultimate light summer meal.
For the pesto:
- 1 cup of fresh basil leaves, packed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste,
- 1/3 cup olive oil
For the salad:
- 3 large plum tomatoes, thickly sliced
- half an avocado, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces of fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- balsamic glaze, to taste
- cracked pepper, to taste
- olive oil, to taste
- Make the pesto: Add the basil, garlic and pine nuts to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a standard metal blade. Pulse several times until the basil is chopped. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper. With the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil and continue to process until combined. Scrape down the sides again.
- Assemble the stacks: To assemble the salad, place two tomato slices on a plate, top with a slice of mozzarella. Continue until you have used up half of the tomato slices. Repeat to make four stacks.
- Add the toppings: Top each stack with avocado slices, basil pesto and cracked pepper. Drizzle with the balsamic glaze.
Keywords: summer salads, tomato salads