These vegetarian black bean nachos are topped with a creamy cheese sauce to ensure tasty goodness in every bite!
For the black beans:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 cup fresh salsa
For the chips:
- 10 – 16 oz tortilla chips
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
For the Cilantro-Lime Sauce:
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon green minced green onion
- 1/4 teaspoon finely minced jalapeno
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- pinch of salt
For the cheese sauce:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk, I recommend using 2%
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheese, I use a combination of sharp cheddar and Mexican blend
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, minced
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Prepare the beans:
- Heat oil in a 10″ skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 5 minutes. Add the beans and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the spices, cook until fragrant. About 30 seconds. Using a potato masher, lightly mash the beans. Add the salsa and stir until well blended. Cook for 5 minutes until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat until ready to serve nachos.
Prepare the chips:
- Spread the chips on a baking sheet with sides. Sprinkle with salt and lime zest. Bake for 5 minutes.
Prepare the Cilantro-Lime sauce:
- Mix the yogurt and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Prepare the cheese sauce:
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Add milk and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until small bubbles form at the edges of the pan. Stir in the cheese and continue cooking until cheese is melted and the sauce becomes smooth. Turn off heat and keep warm until ready to serve.
To serve the nachos:
- Add the warm chips to a serving dish or dishes. Top with black beans, cheese sauce and Cilantro-Lime sauce. Add pico, avocado and cilantro. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 4 oz
- Calories: 550
Keywords: vegetarian appetizer, game day snacks