Make your Christmas morning breakfast a breeze with this easy, tasty make-ahead sausage, egg and cheese casserole. This easy breakfast recipe can be put together the night before and is sure to impress your holiday breakfast guests!
- 4 cups cubed sourdough or french bread
- 2/3 pound pork or turkey breakfast sausage
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Prepare the pan. Coat a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray or oil.
- Lightly toast the bread cubes. You can do this by putting them in a toaster oven for a few minutes or spreading them on a baking sheet and baking in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes.
- Cook the sausage. While the bread cubes are toasting, heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until crumbly, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool while you mix the eggs.
- Make the egg mixture. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, salt, pepper and sage together until fully combined. Add 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese and stir.
- Prepare the casserole. Add the bread and sausage to the prepared baking dish and mix together. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and sausage.
- Refrigerate. Cover the pan and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, ideally overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Uncover the casserole and sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup of cheddar on top of the casserole. Bake until golden and the eggs are set, about 60 to 65 minutes. A knife inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Leftover casserole can be stored, covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: make ahead, easy breakfast