Make your Christmas morning breakfast a breeze with this easy, tasty make-ahead sausage, egg and cheese casserole. This easy breakfast recipe can be put together the night before and is sure to impress your holiday breakfast guests!
- 4 cups cubed sourdough or french bread
- 2/3 pound pork or turkey breakfast sausage
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Coat a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray or oil.
- Lightly toast the bread cubes. You can do this by putting them in a toaster oven for a few minutes or spreading them on a baking sheet and baking in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes.
- While the bread cubes are toasting, heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until crumbly, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool while you mix the eggs.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, salt, pepper and sage together until fully combined. Add 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese and stir.
- Add the bread and sausage to the prepared baking dish and mix together. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and sausage.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, dry mustard and pepper until smooth. Pour over the bread in the bowl, stirring to coat the cubes evenly. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, and sprinkle the top with the remaining broccoli rabe and meat.
- Cover the pan and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, ideally overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Uncover the casserole and sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup of cheddar on top of the casserole. Bake until golden and the eggs are set, about 60 to 65 minutes. A knife inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Leftover casserole can be stored, covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: make ahead, easy breakfast