This grilled cider glazed chicken tops a crisp Panzanella salad with apples and fennel for a quick weeknight dinner!
For the chicken:
- 4 oz Sonoma Cider Anvil Hard Cider or other hard cider
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons shallots, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
For the salad:
- 1 cup sourdough bread cubes (toasted)
- 1/3 cup julienned honey crisp apple
- 1/3 cup julienned fennel
- 1/3 cup shaved brussels sprouts
- 4 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Sonoma Anvil Hard Cider
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Place bread cubes on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil. Stir to coat. Toast for 15 – 20 minutes until lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Combine cider, brown sugar, honey and mustard powder in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and stir in thyme, shallots, cracked pepper and butter. Cook 5-7 minutes until reduced by about half. Stir in butter and cool slightly.
- While the glaze is cooking, preheat grill to medium (350°F). Brush chicken with glaze, reserving the leftover glaze. Place chicken on the grill and cook 6 minutes; brush with remaining glaze and turn over. Cook an additional 6 minutes or until done.
- While the chicken is grilling, place bread cubes, apples, fennel, brussels sprouts and walnuts in a medium mixing bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the shallot, vinegar, cider, honey and dried mustard. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until fully blended. Pour onto apple fennel fixture and toss to coat. Let sit while the chicken finishes cooking.
- To serve, divide the salad mixture between two plates. Slice chicken and top salad mixture with chicken. Garnish with cracked black pepper.
Keywords: grilled chicken