These cheesy minis are ooey-gooey with just a touch of crab for an elegant twist that makes them the perfect party appetizer!
- 1/2 pound mini elbow pasta
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups grated cheese (pick your favorite types)
- 4 oz lump crab meat
- Heat the oven. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook the pasta. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add pasta and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain well.
- Prepare the muffin cups. Spray 36 mini muffin cups with coconut oil spray, or coat with coconut oil. Sprinkle the bottom of each muffin cup with a small amount of panko.
- Make the cheese sauce. In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper and whisk until combined. Whisk in the milk and cook until small bubbles form at the edges of the pan; about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add the cheese, stirring constantly until smooth. Add the pasta and crab, stir until coated with the cheese sauce.
- Bake the bites. Using a small dough scoop add about a tablespoon of the mixture to each muffin cup. Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges of the pasta begin to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Carefully remove each bite from the muffin tin and serve immediately.
Keywords: Party appetizers, mini mac n cheese