This breakfast hash uses frozen potatoes and gets topped with ham, avocado and a poached egg for a quick weekend breakfast!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups frozen breakfast potatoes, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 tbsp chopped green pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped mushroom
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 oz thin sliced black forest ham, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced
- 1 tbsp sliced green onion
- 1–2 poached eggs
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Sauté onion and green peppers for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add potatoes, salt and pepper. Stir the mixture once, then spread to fill the pan. Reduce heat to just above medium and let the potatoes cook for 5-6 minutes until they begin to brown. Stir the mixture and add the additional tablespoon of oil. Flatten again and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, until the desired doneness is reached.
- Add the ham, stir and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle with cheese and cook until melted, stirring once or twice.
- Top with avocado and green onions. If desired add a poached egg. Serve immediately.
- This recipe makes either one large serving or two small servings. If adding an egg I’d generally say it’s enough for two people.
- If you are planning to add the poached eggs, start cooking them before you start the has to ensure they are done at the same time.