This farro salad with grilled chicken, pistachios and pomegranate has a great nutty flavor and makes a great healthy lunch or dinner.
For the salad:
- 1/2 cup pearled farro
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 4 oz boneless (skinless chicken breast)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup Wonderful shelled pistachios
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- pinch of ground pepper
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the farro. Rinse the farro using a fine mesh strainer. Add the farro and water to a medium saucepan; bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for an additional 10-12 minutes until the water has evaporated.
- Cook the chicken. While the farro is cooking, brush the chicken with oil and grill over medium-high, either in a grill pan or on an outdoor grill; cooking 6 minutes per side. Chop into bite-sized pieces when done cooking.
- Chop the pistachios. Roughly chop the pistachios with a sharp knife and set them aside.
- Make the vinaigrette. Add vinegar through honey to a small bowl and whisk together. Slowly add olive oil whisking to combine. Add to farro mixture as desired.
- Assemble the salad. When the farro is done cooking add the chopped pistachios, thyme, pomegranate seeds, chicken, salt and pepper. Mix well.
The dressing makes more than you will likely use with the farro; store any leftover dressing in a small jar or other airtight container. Dressing will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.
Keywords: Grain-based salad