This farro salad with grilled chicken, pistachios and pomegranate has a great nutty flavor and makes a great healthy lunch or dinner.
For the salad:
- 1/2 cup pearled farro
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 4 oz boneless (skinless chicken breast)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup Wonderful shelled pistachios
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- pinch of ground pepper
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Rinse the farro using a fine mesh strainer. Add the farro and water to a medium saucepan; bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for an additional 10-12 minutes until the water has evaporated.
- While the farro is cooking, brush the chicken with oil and grill over medium-high, either in a grill pan or on an outdoor grill; cooking 6 minutes per side. Chop into bite-sized pieces when done cooking.
- Roughly chop the pistachios with a sharp knife and set aside.
- When the farro is done cooking add the chopped pistachios, thyme, pomegranate seeds, chicken, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- To make the vinaigrette, add vinegar through honey to a small bowl and whisk together. Slowly add olive oil whisking to combine. Add to farro mixture as desired.
The dressing makes more than you will likely use with the farro; store any leftover dressing in a small jar or other airtight container. Dressing will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.