Change up your weeknight meal routine with this quick and easy cashew chicken stir fry that’s better than take-out.
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the stir fry
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red pepper
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- Make the sauce. Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, mirin, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, corn starch and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Cook the chicken. Heat the oil in a large wok or non stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Finish the stir fry. Add the red pepper and garlic, stir fry for 1 minute then add the cashews and the sauce. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for an additional minute.
- Serve. Divide the rice between two plates or bowl. Top each with half the stir fry mixture. Top with green onions and serve.
- You can substitute udon noodles for the rice if you prefer.
Keywords: weeknight meals, chicken stir fry