This vegetarian fried rice incorporates tofu and ginger with some crisp veggies for a tasty “meatless Monday” meal!
- 1 12-ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 1” cubes
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced onion
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot, about 1 large carrot
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoon thinly sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place rice and water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat, simmer for 35-40 minutes until rice is tender (check package directions for the ultimate cooking time as I’ve found it varies depending on the type of brown rice I’m using).
- While the rice is cooking, line a baking sheet with parchment paper; place tofu on a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes.
- Combine soy, vinegar, 2 tbsp sesame oil, ginger, sugar and garlic in a small bowl; whisk together. Set aside.
- When both tofu and rice are done, heat 1 tbsp of sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu, and cook for 4-5 minutes, browning on all sides. Add peas, onion and carrots, cook for 2 minutes. Add rice and egg, cook for 1 minute, stirring continually. Add tamari mixture and cook for 2 minutes. Serve immediately. Top each serving with 1 tbsp of green onion.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 418
Keywords: stir fry, easy weeknight meal