These grilled baby artichokes are topped with a tasty dipping sauce and then drizzled with balsamic glaze for the perfect spring side dish!
- 4 baby artichokes
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- pinch of salt
For the dipping sauce:
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons mascarpone
- 1 teaspoon honey
- dash of ground pepper
- pinch of ground cumin
- 2–3 tablespoons of balsamic glaze
- Using a sharp knife, remove stems from artichokes and cut in half lengthwise. Squeeze the from half of the lemon over the cut artichokes.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the peppercorns, bay leaf and artichokes. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove artichokes from pan and pat dry.
- While the artichokes are boiling pre-heat a gas grill to medium heat. In a small bowl mix olive oil and juice from the other half of the lemon. Brush artichokes with the mixture. Place on grill cut side down and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Turn artichokes over and grill for an additional 5 to 6 minutes until tender. Remove from the grill and place on a serving dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the artichokes are grilling, mix the creme fraiche, mascarpone, honey, pepper and cumin in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When ready to serve drizzle about 1/3 of the creme fraiche mixture on the artichokes, reserving the rest for dipping. Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the artichokes and serve immediately.