This steak salad is just brimming with flavor from the grilled corn, seasoned steak and lime vinaigrette making it the perfect summer meal!
For the steak:
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- juice from half a lime
- 1 pound tri-tip or other lightly marbled steak
For the salad:
- 1/2 cup farro, uncooked
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 8 cups chopped lettuce
- 1/4 crumbled blue cheese
- half an avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
For the vinaigrette:
- juice of 1 1/2 limes
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the grill. Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Make the marinade. In a small bowl mix the pepper, chipotle, onion powder, garlic salt, allspice, paprika and lime zest. Add olive oil and lime juice; stir until incorporated.
- Prepare the steak. Spread the chipotle rub on both sides of the steak and let the steak come to room temperature for 15-20 minutes while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook the farro. Add the farro and 1 1/2 cups water to a small sauce pan. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Grill the corn. Brush the corn on all sides with olive oil. Place on the grill and cook for 15 minutes, turning every 5 minutes. Remove the corn from the grill and let cool slightly. Remove the kernels from the ears using a sharp knife or corn peeler.
- Grill the steak. Place the steak on the grill while the corn is cooking. Grill for 5 to 7 minutes per side for a medium steak (see post for grill times for other temperatures). Check the internal temperature with a thermometer and remove it from the grill when the desired temperature is reached. Let rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing. After resting, cut into thin slices.
- Make the vinaigrette. While the corn is cooling, make the vinaigrette by mixing the lime juice, zest, garlic, honey, vinegar and salt in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until blended.
- Assemble the salad. To assemble the salad divide the lettuce between 4 plates. Add the steak and top with farro, corn, tomatoes, red onion, blue cheese and avocado. Top with dressing and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Keywords: weeknight dinner, summer dinner