These golden brown caramelized onions are such a tasty topping or add-in for so many things! You’ll want to make a batch of them every week during your meal prep!
- 1 – 2 large yellow onions
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp cooking sherry
- Vertically chop the onions.
- Heat a wide-low dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add butter and cook until melted. Add onions and stir to coat. Let them cook for 20 minutes without stirring.
- After 20 minutes stir them a few times and scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Cook for another 15 minutes.
- After cooking for a total of 35 minutes add the sherry and scrape the bottom of the pan so most of the brown bits are removed. Stir a few times to incorporate the fond (brown bits) into the onions.
- Cook for an additional 10 – 20 minutes depending on the desired degree of doneness.
- Remove from heat and serve as needed or store in an airtight container.
You can freeze caramelized onions in an ice tray for easy use at a later date.
Keywords: meal prep