This beef chili has all the classic mouthwatering flavors you expect in a traditional chili – since it’s made in an Instant Pot you get a bowl of chili that tastes like it simmered for hours ready in less than an hour. So chunky, cozy and comforting this chili will become a weeknight favorite in no time!
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 pound spicy pork sausage
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/3 cup diced green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine (I normally use Pinot Noir or Merlot)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney bean, drained and rinsed
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup light sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Turn the Instant Pot to the Saute function. Add the olive oil. Once you can feel the heat add the pork and sauté for one minute. Then add the ground beef. Stir until crumbled and cooked through. Add the onion, pepper and garlic and sauté briefly.
- Add the wine to the pan and use a silicone spatula to deglaze the pan by scraping all the browned bits off the bottom. This will help to ensure you don’t get a burn notice on your Instant Pot.
- Add the spices and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Add the tomatoes and the beans and stir again.
- Switch your Instant Pot to beans/chili mode and set the time for 20 minutes. After the chili is done cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 20 minutes and then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Serve the chili topped with sour cream/greek yogurt and shredded cheese.
Keywords: Beef chili, comfort food