This luscious lemon lavender cake is a rich, dense cake bursting with bright lemon flavor and topped with buttercream frosting infused with hints of lavender for the ideal special occasion dessert.
For the cake:
- 1 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon culinary lavender
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven. Move the rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Line the cake pans. Line the bottom of two six inch cake pans with parchment paper and spray with non-stick baking spray.
- Mix the dry ingredients. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Whisk together. Set aside.
- Mix the wet ingredients. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest on medium low speed. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat on medium high for 1 minute. Add the milk and lemon juice, beat on low speed until all ingredients are combined.
- Finish the batter. Add half of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until combined. Add the rest of the flour and continue to mix until the batter is smooth.
- Bake. Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the center of the cake clean. Cool for 10 minutes and then remove the cakes from the pans and continue to cool on wire racks while you make the frosting.
- Make the frosting. Add the butter and lavender to a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugar and vanilla and continue to beat on medium until combined. Slowly add the milk and beat on low speed until frosting is smooth.
- Assemble and frost the cake. Carefully slice each layer in two lengthwise. Place the first layer on a cake stand or plate with no rim. Add a spoonful of frosting on top and smooth with a long knife or cake froster. Repeat with the remaining layers, reserving frosting for the sides of the cake. Use a long knife to frost the sides of the cake and then carefully remove excess frosting with a pastry scraper to give the cake that naked look. Top with edible flowers or some lavender sprigs before serving.
If you live at high altitude (above about 3,000 feet), increase your oven temperature to 375°F and reduce baking powder to 3/4 teaspoon.
Keywords: lemon lavender desserts, special occasion dessert