When you crave creamy cheesy comfort food this Lighter Greek Yogurt Mac & Cheese topped with peas and crispy pancetta is the answer!
- 4 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 3/4 cups cavatappi or whole wheat fusilli pasta
- 3 ounces soft goat cheese
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 ounces white cheddar, grated
- Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add pancetta and cook for 7-9 minutes, until pancetta is crisp. Drain on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Place the peas in a small microwave-safe bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of water. Cover with a paper towel and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- While the pancetta is cooking bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 6-7 minutes, until pasta is al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Pour the pasta back into the pot and place back on the stove, which should still be warm. Add the cheeses, yogurt and peas. Stir to combine. Add the pasta water and continue stirring until the cheeses melt and a creamy sauce forms.
- Divide pasta between 2 or 3 bowls, top with pancetta and serve immediately.
This pasta reheats fairly well. I recommend microwaving for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until the desired temperature is reached. Leave the pancetta off until after reheating.
Keywords: Comfort food