The key to a great weeknight meal is something that’s easy to prep ahead of time and comes together quickly. These open-faced sandwiches fit the bill, with grilled flank steak on crunchy bread that’s topped with spicy arugula, a few pickled red onions and a tasty parmesan mustard sauce giving you the ultimate easy dinner solution.
For the steak:
- 3/4 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons worstershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil mayonaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
For the sandwich:
- 1/3 cup pickled red onion
- 1/2 cup baby arugula leaves
- 1/2 baguette, cut into 3 pieces
- Marinate the steak. Mix the worstershire, mustard, lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl. Place the flank steak on a platter and pour the marinade over the steak, brushing to coat all sides. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Make the sauce. Mix the whole grain mustard, lemon juice, mayo, olive oil, cheese and cracked pepper in a small bowl or jar. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat your grill to medium high heat, about 425°F.
- Grill the steak. Place the steak on the grill and grill for 5 minutes and then flip the steak and grill for another 5 minutes or until the steak reaches an internal temperature of 135°F (for medium rare). Remove the steak from the grill and let it rest for 10 minutes. Going at a slight diagonal to the grain of the meat, slice into thin slices.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Slice the baguette pieces lengthwise. Toast the baguette for a few minutes. Spread a bit of the parmesan mustard sauce on each baguette slice. Top with arugula leaves. Top with steak, pickled onions and more parmesan mustard sauce. Serve and enjoy!
- You can let the steak marinate for up to 24 hours
Keywords: Easy weeknight dinner, grilled steak ideas