These Cranberry Orange Scones are perfect for a Sunday Brunch party!
For the scones:
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons chilled butter
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup frozen cranberries, slightly thawed
For the glaze:
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
For the cream:
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Adjust the baking rack to the middle position. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop flour into a measuring cup and level with a knife. Place both flours, baking powder, salt and sugar in the bowl of a food processor; pulse several times. Add butter, 1 tbsp at a time, and pulse until combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the orange zest and juice, egg and milk until completely combined. Add the flour butter mixture and mix until ingredients are just combined and a soft dough forms. Gently fold in the cranberries.
- Form the dough into a ball and place on a floured surface. Press into a 9-10″ circle or if using a scone pan, press into the pan. Transfer to the parchment lined baking sheet. Using a pizza cutter, score the circle into 8 wedges, being sure not to cut all the way through the dough.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- While the scones are baking, mix the orange juice and powdered sugar together in a small bowl.
- To make the cream, beat the heavy cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. You are looking for whipped cream consistency. Fold in crème fraîche, sugar and vanilla. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To serve, drizzle scones with the glaze and serve with cream on the side.
Keywords: Sunday brunch