These easy slice & bake orange crisp cookies drizzled with dark chocolate make a delicious afternoon snack and pair perfectly with a cup of tea or a glass of milk!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons European butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Nielsen Massey vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Nielsen Massey orange extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
- Place flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small mixing bowl. Using a whisk stir until well mixed. Set aside.
- Place butter, sugar, and orange zest in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Mix until butter and sugar are creamed together.
- Add egg, extracts and orange juice. Mix until completely combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- With the stand mixer running, slowly pour in the flour mixture. Continue mixing until a combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again until a soft dough forms.
- Divide dough into two parts. Place each part on a large piece of plastic wrap and form into a log-like shape about 2″ in diameter. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and roll back and forth to round the edges. Place the dough in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and slice into 1/4″ thick rounds. Place rounds on baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes or until slightly browned on the edges and springy in the middle.
- Remove cookies from oven and let cool.
- While the cookies are cooling place the chocolate in a double boiler over medium-low heat. Melt the chocolate, stirring constantly.
- Using a small spoon drizzle the melted chocolate over the cookies. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before eating.
Keywords: Chocolate desserts