This quick & creamy black bean soup comes together in less than 30 minutes making it the perfect warm-up for a cold winter day!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup pico de gallo for topping
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add spices and cook until fragrant; about 1 minute.
- Add broth and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil then add black beans. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes. Using an immersion blender, puree until just slightly chunky. Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Top with pico de gallo and serve immediately.
After cooling, the soup can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days.
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- Calories: 332