Looking for a healthy, protein-packed breakfast option? this quinoa breakfast bowl is topped with black beans, avocado, caramelized onions and a nice jammy egg!
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup black beans (drained, rinsed and warmed)
- 1/2 cup caramelized onions
- 1/4 cup diced red pepper
- 1 ripe Haas avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add quinoa and water to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 12 minutes or until water is evaporated. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Prepare a small bowl of cold water and some ice cubes (ice bath).
- While the quinoa is cooking place the metal trivet or egg ring in your Instant Pot. Add 1 cup of water. Add the eggs. Close the Instant Pot lid and make sure it’s set to sealing. Set to cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. When the time is up quick release the pressure. Remove the eggs and carefully place them in the ice bath for 5 minutes. Once they are cool, peel the eggs.
- Divide the quinoa between two bowls. Top with black beans, caramelized onions, red pepper and avocado.
- Carefully slice the eggs in half with a sharp knife. Place two egg halves on top of each bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- If you are making the caramelized onions just for this recipe add about 40 minutes to the cooking time.
- If you prefer to poach the eggs fill a medium saucepan half full with water and bring to a simmer. Crack one egg into a small bowl and carefully slide into the water; repeat with the second egg. Cook for 3-4 minutes until eggs are set.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 497
Keywords: egg bowl, egg breakfast, healthy breakfast