These meatballs get lightened up with some quinoa and ricotta and then tossed with a rich red sauce and healthy zucchini noodles.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tbsp part-skim ricotta
- 1 tsp steak seasoning
- 1 tsp dried minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 cups red sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl mix the ground beef, onions, ricotta, quinoa, steak seasoning, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add the egg white and mix well until completely combined.
- Using a 1 tbsp dough scoop, form the ground beef mixture into balls. Form a total of 12 meatballs.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the meatballs and cook for 1 minute. Turn them to an unbrowned side and put the pan in the oven to bake for 10 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking spiralize the zucchini. Once spiralized place on a plate covered with paper towels and press the excess moisture out.
- Once the meatballs are done cooking return the pan to the stove top over medium heat. Add the red sauce and cook for 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and continue to cook until the sauce is heated, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately, topping with grated parmesan if desired.