These Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are easy and healthy - what more could you ask for in a weeknight meal?!
Looking to amp up your weeknight meal plans in the new year? These sheet pan chicken fajitas are an easy solution for a weeknight dinner for two. Having an arsenal of easy, tasty recipes on hand makes eating healthy and getting dinner on the table quickly so much more manageable during the week. And I love easy dinners for two! They work well for either you + your significant other or for you and leftovers for lunch or dinner for the next day!
Sheet pan meals have kinda become a "thing" recently. They are an updated idea of the one-pan/pot meal concept. And why not?! What could be easier than everything tossed together and poured onto one pan then popped in the oven? Weeknight dinner - done in a flash!
Just as great as the easy prep and cooking is the fact that clean up is a breeze! Just one sheet pan (plus a knife and a cutting board) to wash and you are done with the dishes.
You can use chicken tenders or chicken breasts, depending on whether or not you like to slice up chicken. If your grocery store has a nice meat counter you can ask them if they will slice up the check breast into strips for you, which is what I usually do. Then I just freeze the package of pre-cut strips and defrost the day before I'm going to make this.
Once you've got everything sliced up, you just mix it all together and bake. Then just add cheese, guacamole and any other toppings that you like! I use corn tortillas for fajitas for a healthier option but you can sub flour tortillas if you prefer them.
Put these fajitas on your meal plan for next week. They are packed with flavor and make a great way to kick off Taco Tuesday in the new year!
Tips for Making Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Try to slice the veggies and chicken to a similar size and thickness to ensure everything cooks evenly.
- Always use a rimmed sheet pan, or a half sheet pan, to avoid messes. I also like to line the pan with parchment paper to make clean up even easier!
additional notes from the kitchen
- You can top these fajitas with pretty much anything you like - guacamole, pico and a little bit of greek yogurt or sour cream are my favorite options.
- You can serve with additional lime wedges for those who are big lime juice fans. Since you are already using a good dose of lime juice it's not necessary but it can be a fun way to make the dish visually interesting too!
things you may want for this recipe
Rimmed Baking Sheet – I always say these rimmed baking sheets are a kitchen must have. You can use them for roasting veggies, baking chicken or fish and for making cookies. They work great for bacon too! Since they are rimmed you don’t have to worry about juices or grease running off the edges and getting all over your oven. I have them in a couple of sizes to accommodate various baking and roasting needs!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- ½ of a medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ of a medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- one small yellow onion, vertically sliced
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into strips
- juice from one lime
- 6-8 small corn tortillas
- ¼ cup guacamole
- ⅓ cup pico de gallo
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the veggies to one half of the baking sheet. Add 1 tablespoon avocado oil, pepper and salt. Toss to coat.
- In a small bowl, add the taco seasoning and tablespoons avocado oil. Add the sliced chicken to the other half of the baking sheet. Pour the taco seasoning mixture over the chicken and toss to coat. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken and veggies are baking place the tortillas in aluminum foil and add to the oven after about 5 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Drizzle the lime juice over the chicken and veggie
- To assemble the fajitas as desired and serve immediately.
- For the peppers, the total weight of both sliced peppers should be about 6 ounces.
- If you like your tortillas a bit charred heat them either on a grill or over the burner on your stove. If heating on your stove use medium-low heat and watch carefully so they don't burn.
Abby @ WinsteadWandering says
I'm ALL about one pot/sheet pan meals, and chicken fajitas have recently been high on my list of dishes to make. Your recipe looks like the perfect way to do that!
How did you know I had bell peppers sitting in my fridge that need to be cooked tonight? LOVE that this only dirties on pan. It looks like a flavor party!
Somehow I've never made a sheet pan meal. I'm so uncool lol. I need to- it looks so easy!
Drool City, population me. These look so easy and so darn delicious- the perfect weeknight dinner!
This should be my dinner tonight!! =D Love all the ingredients in your fajitas, especially the addition of taco seasoning, as it makes dinner all the more exciting. A comfort food feast in itself.
Vicky Berman says
Perfect weeknight dinner! And I need to get a rimmed baking sheet!
Perfect dinner. I love fajitas and I love how this is not only easy but in ONE pan!! Dinner Winner
I LOVE sheet pan dinners! After a long day chasing two toddlers around the last thing I want to do is tons of dishes! I can’t do grains or corn but I think I’ll turn these into fajita bowls with cauliflower rice!!
I think they would be great over cauliflower rice as well!
Sheet pan meals give me life! Fajitas seem like such a fab idea for sheet pan cooking. Thanks for the recipe!
Leslie Haasch says
I find myself doing more and more sheetpan meals during the winter - it's so easy!
We are on the same brain wavelength - I can't stop making sheet pan steak fajitas (and I finally took the time to photograph them last week so I can get them up on the blog soon). I love how easy sheet pan dinners are, and that I can prep everything the night before, leave the sheet pan in the fridge, and pop it straight into the oven when I get home from work. SO EASY!
I know fajitas are really one of the best weeknight meals! Can't wait to check out your steak fajitas soon!
Kim @ Berly's Kitchen says
Fajitas are one of our favorite weeknight dinners. Love that these are sheet pan so cleanup is a breeze! These look fantastic.
Sam | Ahead of Thyme says
Such an easy and delicious weeknight meal! Will be making this soon!
I’m all about these fajitas!!! They sound so good and need to in my belly now!
Lois. O says
Yep no question, this is the ultimate weeknight meal. I tend to add a little extra cayenne pepper to mine for that extra burst of spice but it is so easy to prepare and so good!