This traditional cranberry sauce gets some extra tanginess from the addition of fresh orange juice and orange zest.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 12 ounce bag fresh cranberries
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Add sugar, water and orange juice to a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes until small bubbles begin to form at the edges of the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the cranberries and salt. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently. The cranberries will begin to pop as they cook. Continue cooking until desired consistency is reached.
- Remove from heat and stir in the orange zest. Let cool before serving.
If you are serving as a side dish you can add a splash of ruby port when you add the orange zest.