Apple crisp is an absolute must as the leaves start to turn – it just screams fall! Easy enough for a weeknight, this classic dessert combines fragrant cinnamon and nutmeg infused apples with a crisp, crumbly oat mixture that gives you the ideal crunch in every bite!
For the apple filling:
- 3 granny smith or gala apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup regular or candied pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup of vanilla gelato or ice cream
- caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt the butter in a large sauteé pan. Add the apples and cook for 5 minutes until the apples begin to soften.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon juice, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Stir until the apples are well coated. Divide the apples between two mini (6-inch) cast iron skillets.
- Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and sea salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Add the butter and used a pastry cutter or a fork mix everything together until a coarse meal forms. Stir in the pecans.
- Divide the topping between the two skillets. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes until the topping is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cook slightly. Top with gelato and caramel sauce before serving.
If you don’t have mini skillets or prefer to make this a one-pan recipe cook the apples in a 9-10 inch cast iron or other oven-safe skillet and bake the crisp in the same skillet
Keywords: skillet baking, fall desserts