This Chicken Tortilla Soup gets topped with avocado, pico de gallo, greek yogurt and tortilla chips making it a must-have recipe for the season and giving you the perfect reason to break out your slow cooker!
- 1 1/4 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 6″ corn tortillas, sliced into strips
- 1 teaspoon jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 8–10 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/3 cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese, plus more for serving
- juice of one lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/3 cup pico de gallo
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 handfuls of tortilla chips
- Add onion, garlic, tortillas, jalapeño, tomatoes, chicken and spices to a 3.5-quart or larger slow cooker. Pour the chicken broth over the other ingredients. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker and remove the chicken. Using an immersion blender blend the soup, making sure the tortillas get pureed. Shred the chicken and return it to the crockpot.
- Add the corn and cook on low for 20 – 30 minutes. You can also leave it on warm for an hour or so if you are not going to be ready to eat in 30 minutes.
- Squeeze in the lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add cilantro and stir.
- Spoon into bowls and top with avocado, pico de gallo, yogurt and tortilla chips.
If freezing some of the soup let it cool first then pour into freezer proof containers. Leave the toppings off until just before serving.