Topped with apples, almonds and lightly sweetened with maple syrup, these steel cut oats make a warm and healthy meal that’s easy to prepare in an Instant Pot, giving you breakfast in less than 30 minutes!
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups vanilla almond milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 an apple, thinly sliced or cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- maple syrup, to taste
- Prepare the Instant Pot. Lightly spray the Instant Pot liner with cooking spray. Add the oats, cinnamon stick and almond milk.
- Cook the oats. Secure the lid and make sure the vent is set to SEAL. Set to manual, high pressure for 3 minutes. The Instant Pot will take several minutes to come up to pressure before the cooking time begins.
- Natural pressure release. Once the cooking time has ended allow the pressure to release naturally for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes remove the lid and stir. Discard the cinnamon stick and serve.
- Add the toppings. Top with the apples, almonds, ground cinnamon and maple syrup. Add additional almond milk or regular milk if desired.
- The cooked oats will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat for one minute in the microwave when ready to eat.
- This recipe creates a rather thick consistency for the oats as I think it’s easier to add more milk after they are cooked instead of ending up with soupy oats!
Keywords: healthy breakfast