It’s cherry season! This summer quinoa salad is a great way to highlight the sweetness of these bright red cherries. It comes together quickly and makes a great lunch or a side dish for a light summer dinner.
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup fresh sweet cherries, halved and pitted
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted cashews
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- dash of pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup microgreens
- Add the quinoa and water to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
- Once all the liquid has absorbed and the quinoa is done cooking, remove the pot from the heat and let it sit with the lid on for at least 10 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking mix the honey, vinegar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Add the olive oil and whisk until combined. Set aside until you are ready to serve the salad.
- To assemble the salad, split the quinoa between two bowls. Top with cherries, cashews and red onions. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the dressing and carefully toss to coat. Sprinkle the microgreens over the top of the salad and serve.
If you can’t find microgreens you can use chopped butter lettuce instead. If you use butter lettuce add it to the bowl before you add the quinoa.