These creamy, lemony cakes are the perfect end to any meal! Reprinted with permission from The Chopping Block
- 1 stick unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest of one orange
- zest of one lemon
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup cake flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- For garnish – whipped cream and raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly butter and salt twelve ramekins and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, salt, citrus zests and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, a couple at a time, and incorporate well.
- Stir in the flour, and be careful not to over mix.
- Mix in the milk and lemon juice.
- With clean beaters, whip the egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form. Gently fold whipped egg whites into the batter.
- Divide the batter into prepared ramekins and place them in a shallow roasting pan. Add hot water to the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for about 25 minutes. The tops should look firm and very slightly browned.
- Allow cakes to cool completely. Run a knife around the inside of each ramekin to loosen, and invert onto a plate to serve. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle with raspberries.