If you are looking for a great healthy dish for a tasty weeknight meal, look no further than this Crispy Tofu Rice Bowl topped with bok choy and edamame then drizzled with a thick teriyaki glaze!
For the bowl:
- 1/2 cup long-grain brown rice
- 3/4 cup water
- 12.3 ounces of extra-firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 1 head of baby bok choy
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic
- 1/2 cup cooked edamame
For the glaze:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sweet rice wine (mirin)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the tofu from the box and cut into slices that are about 1″ thick. I usually cut across the block the short way to make the slices easier to handle. Place the tofu on a plate or baking sheet lined with paper towels. Place paper towels on top of the tofu and put something heavy such as another pan on top. Press down to remove water then let the tofu sit for about 15 minutes or so.
- Add the rice and water to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- While the rice is cooking combine soy sauce, sugar, water, wine, garlic and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and stir in the ginger and sesame oil. Mix cornstarch with 1 teaspoon of water. Add to saucepan. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let cool while you finish the rest of the dish.
- After you’ve made the teriyaki glaze transfer the tofu to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
- While the tofu is baking prep the bok choy by cutting the bottom off the head. Wash the leaves and then cut each piece in lengthwise.
- Once the tofu is done baking cut each piece into smaller pieces by slicing lengthwise. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the tofu being careful not to crowd the piece in the pan. Cook for 4 minutes and then using a pair of tongs carefully turn each piece over and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Return the pan to the heat and add 1 tablespoon avocado oil. Add the bok choy and stir to coat. Add the soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of water, ginger and garlic. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Divide the rice between two bowls. Top with bok choy, edamame and tofu. Drizzle with the teriyaki glaze. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 550