These tangy Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps are really easy to make and result in an excellent packable lunch or quick and easy dinner!
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pound ground chicken, you can use a combination of breast and thigh meat
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Tamari
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon sambal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white miso paste
- 3/4 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup water chestnuts, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion
- 8 butter lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup julienned carrots
- 1/3 cup shredded napa cabbage
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- Heat 1 teaspoon of sesame oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned and crumbly, about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic; sauteé for an additional minute or two.
- Add tamari, ginger, vinegar, sambal, peanut butter, miso, sugar and ground pepper. Stir until well mixed. Cook for 10 minutes until sauce thickens and is mostly absorbed. Add water chestnuts and green onions to the mixture and stir to incorporate. Turn heat to low to keep chicken warm while finishing the prep.
- To serve the lettuce wraps, place a leaf of lettuce on a plate or serving tray. Add chicken mixture. Top with carrots, cabbage and peanuts. Garnish with cilantro if desired. Repeat with remaining lettuce leaves. Serve immediately.
You can substitute soy sauce for the tamari.