These toasty sourdough grilled cheese sticks are perfect for dipping in this easy, creamy tomato soup!
For the soup:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced carrot, about 1 medium carrot
- 2/3 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 8 oz chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp cooking sherry
- 4 tbsp heavy cream or half & half
For the grilled cheese:
- 1 1/2 tbsp Brummel & Brown or other soft butter
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded Gruyère
To make the soup:
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a medium dutch oven or saucepan. Add carrot and sauté for 1 minute; add onion and sauté for an additional minute. Add garlic, basil and thyme; cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, with juice from the can, and broth. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until fairly smooth. Stir in sherry and cream. Keep warm until ready to serve.
To make the grilled cheese:
- Heat a medium non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place two slices in the pan, butter side down. Top with cheddar and Gruyère. Place an additional slice of bread on top, butter side facing up.
- Cook for 4 minutes per side, or until crisp and golden brown. Remove from pan and let cool for a minute or two.
- Using a serrated knife, slice each sandwich into sticks. Serve immediately with warm tomato bisque.
Keywords: comfort food