These turkey burger sliders get seasoned with southwestern spices, topped with grilled onions, melty cheddar cheese and some mashed avocado for a great summer meal.
For the burger patties:
- 1 pound ground turkey thigh
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced dried garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced dried onion
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the burgers:
- 1/2 a yellow onion, sliced into thick slices
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 ounces thinly sliced cheddar cheese
- 5 slider buns, sliced in half
- Preheat the grill to 425°F
- Make the slider patties. In a small mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey, cumin, garlic, onion, cilantro and peppers. Form into 5 equal sized patties, about 3 ounces each.
- Make the smashed avocado. Remove the avocado pit and add the avocado to a small bowl. Roughly mash with a fork. Add the lime juice and salt then mix well.
- Prepare the onions. Toss the onion slices with the olive oil and sprinkle with pepper.
- Grill the sliders and onions. Sprinkle the patties with sea salt and add the patties to the grill. Add the onions to a grill basket and place the basket on the grill. Flip the patties after 5 minutes and continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Melt the cheese and toast the buns. Turn the heat down slightly and top each burger patty with cheese. If you’d like to toast them, add the buns to the grill over indirect heat. Continue to cook until the cheese is melted and the buns are lightly toasted. Remove patties and onions from the grill.
- Assemble the sliders. Place the bottom of each bun on a serving plate. Divide the smashed avocado mixture amongts the 5 buns. Top each with a slider patty and add some grilled onions. Add the top of the bun and serve.
Keywords: easy summer dinners, game day snacks