This popcorn gets a little extra kick from the addition of jalapeño and bacon!
Popcorn is one of my all-time favorite, go-to snacks! There is nothing better than freshly popped popcorn while watching a great movie, or your favorite TV show.
I usually make mine with parmesan cheese and a little bit of truffle salt, however, this Bacon Jalapeño Popcorn is really fun for a party or for date night. It’s inspired by the jalapeño bacon popcorn at Bridgehouse Tavern which was a restaurant here in Chicago that closed in late 2017. Bridgehouse’s beautiful patio was one of my favorite places for happy hour in the summer and the first time I tried their popcorn I was hooked!
I decided to re-create it at home using similar ingredients. My first instinct was to actually pop the popcorn in the bacon fat, but then I decided it might get a little bit too greasy that way, and since I love to use my Whirley Pop to make popcorn, I decided to stick with my tried and true method of making the popcorn first and then adding in the flavoring ingredients.
You’ll start by adding some olive oil to the Whirley Pop and heating up; if you don’t have a Whirley Pop or other oil-based popcorn maker you can use a large, deep pan with a lid. Add about 2 teaspoons of oil and heat it up. The popcorn goes in next, just keep spinning, or shaking the pan until the time between pops slows to about 1-2 seconds. Once it’s done popping you pour it into a nice, big bowl and add your flavorings. Then enjoy with your favorite movie….and maybe a glass of wine or champagne too!!
Bacon Jalapeno Popcorn
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup popcorn kernels
- 2 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon finely minced jalapeño
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 4 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Add the oil to a Whirley Pop or other oil-based popcorn maker. Heat over medium heat for 30 seconds and then add popcorn. Let it heat for a minute or so until you hear the first pop, then spin Whirley Pop, or shake pan constantly until popping slows to 1-2 seconds between pops. Remove from heat.
- Place the butter and jalapeño in a small microwave dish and cook for about 45 seconds, until butter is melted. Add maple syrup and stir.
- Pour popcorn into a large bowl; add butter mixture and stir to coat. Add bacon and cheese and toss until all ingredients are well incorporated. Serve immediately.