This avocado toast gets a unique twist with additional toppings of lemon ricotta, kale microgreens and a sprinkle of everything bagel spice!
Growing up in California I started eating avocados when I was a little kid. I’ve always loved their rich creamy flavor and ate them in everything from guacamole to salads and sandwiches. Or even just by the slice as a snack. For as long as I can remember, they have been one of my favorite fruits – yes, technically they are fruit – so when avocado toast became a “thing” I couldn’t have been happier!
This ricotta avocado toast is extraordinarily good, getting its bright, fresh taste from the lemony ricotta. The pillowy ricotta forms the base for the avocado which gets topped with a runny egg for extra flavor. Finished off with a smattering of delicate microgreens and a sprinkle of everything bagel spice, this toast gives new meaning to the words easy, weekday breakfast!
What’s up with microgreens?
Microgreens are simply the shoots of greens such as arugula, watercress and kale picked just after the first leaves have developed. They pack a lot of flavor into a small amount of vegetable since they are so much more concentrated and allowing a lot of flexibility when incorporating them into a dish.
They have become more widely available in major grocery stores and usually found at farmer’s markets as well. Since these greens are more nutrient dense than their fully developed counterparts they have become lauded for promoting health and helping to prevent disease.
Microgreens, in addition to their strong flavors, are also lauded for their health benefits, which can vary depending on the type of microgreen.
tools you may want for this recipe
Microplane Grater – This Microplane greater is a super handy kitchen tool that I use for grating citrus zest as well as hard cheeses and sometimes even things like ginger.Print
This avocado toast gets a unique twist with additional toppings of lemon ricotta, kale micro greens and a sprinkle of everything bagel spice!
- ½ cup part-skim ricotta
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 large avocado
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup kale micro greens
- 1 teaspoon everything bagel spice
- Combine the lemon and ricotta in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside until ready to assemble the toast.
- Toast the bread to the desired doneness.
- While the bread is toasting scoop the avocado from the skin, discarding the pit, place it in a small bowl and mash with a fork.
- Coat a medium skillet with coconut cooking spray or oil. Crack the two eggs into the skillet and cook for 2-4 minutes until the desired doneness is reached. A slightly runny yolk is perfect for this recipe.
- To assemble the toast place one slice of bread on each of two plates. Top each slice with half of the ricotta. Top the ricotta with half of the avocado. Add the egg on top of the avocado. Finish by adding the microgreens and everything bagel spice.
I generally buy my everything bagel spice from Trader Joe’s but if you want to make your own check out this recipe from Two Peas & Their Pod.
- Serving Size: 1 toast
- Calories: 347
Keywords: easy weekday breakfast