If you love Mexican food this Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowl is a recipe you'll want to try! It provides an amazing combination of flavors and gets an extra kick from the cilantro lime sauce for a healthy lunch or dinner!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase one of the products via the product link, I’ll receive a small commission.
Have I mentioned that I love Mexican food?! Unfortunately, Mexican food and my focus on getting fitter don't go particularly well together, so I've been working on coming up with some options that are on the healthier side. This recipe for Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls is loosely inspired by Chipotle's burrito bowls, however, this version is so full of flavor that I actually think it's better!
How to make a burrito bowl
One of the best things about this recipe is that nearly all of the components can be made ahead of time, making it ideal to add to your weekly meal prep routine. There are a few tips, but most of them can be done simultaneously and are fairly simple so this easily works for a weeknight meal.
The bowl starts with my version of cilantro lime rice, then is topped with Spicy Mexican Chicken, seasoned black beans and some other deliciousness, including one of my favorite sauces. And yes, there is a lot of cilantro and lime in here, however, I promise it is not overwhelming! If you make the chicken ahead of time during your regular weekly meal prep, this makes a good quick option for a weeknight meal.
If you're making the chicken at the same time you make everything else, you'll want to start it first, as it will need a little time to cool before you shred it. You can make the black beans while the rice is cooking. The cilantro lime sauce will likely turn out to be more than you need for this dish, however, I love it so much that I just save the extra for other things - tacos, quesadillas etc. I also find it easier to just use up the container of greek yogurt!
Making Perfect Brown Rice, Every Time!
When cooking brown rice you want to use long grain rice, which is what's common in most grocery stores. It's also one of many grains where I don't recommend following the package directions, as you'll likely end up with rather mushy rice. Instead use a ratio of 1 to 1.5, so for every cup of rice use 1 ½ cups of water.
Bring the rice and water to boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer, then cook for 25-35 minutes or until the water has just evaporated. The cooking time will vary slightly depending on how much rice you are making. Once the water has evaporated remove the pot from the heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
What goes with a burrito bowl?
Like a lot of Mexican dishes, they can really be served on their own. I do recommend adding tortilla chips, either crumbled on the top or as a dish to scoop up the bowl!
things you may want for this recipe
Microplane Grater - This is an essential kitchen tool! It's perfect for any type of citrus zest and can also be used to grate hard cheese, chocolate or even fresh ginger.
Handheld Citrus Juicer - I talk about this juicer in a lot of my posts. It's so easy to use and if you buy the largest size, the one meant for oranges, you can use it for limes, lemons AND oranges (at least small oranges)! As long as you wash it well after each use, it will last for a long time.
Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls
For the beans:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz can black beans, undrained
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon ground chipotle
For the rice:
- ½ cup brown rice
- ¾ cup water
- zest and juice from one small lime
- 1 teaspoon sweet rice wine, mirin
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
For the Cilantro Lime Sauce:
- 6 oz plain greek yogurt
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon finely minced jalapeño
For the bowl:
- 1 ½ cups Spicy Mexican Chicken
- ¼ cup crumbled queso fresco
- ¼ cup pico de gallo
- half of an avocado, diced
- Make the beans. Add olive oil to a small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté 1 minute; add garlic. Add beans, cumin, oregano and chipotle and bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Keep warm.
- Make the rice. While the beans are cooking, place the rice and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes until rice is tender and water is absorbed. Remove from heat. Add lime juice, lime zest, cilantro and rice wine. Mix well, set aside and keep warm.
- Make the sauce. Mix the yogurt, salt, sugar, zest, green onion, cilantro and jalapenño in a small bowl. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Assemble the bowl. To assemble the bowl, divide the rice between two medium-sized bowls. Top each bowl with chicken, black beans, queso fresco, pico and avocado. Add the desired amount of Lime Cilantro Sauce. Serve immediately.
This post was originally published in April 2015. It was updated in September 2020 with some new information and photos. No changes were made to the original recipe.