This sandwich is loaded with veggies and gets an added kick from some avocado oil wasabi mayo to give you the ultimate healthy lunch!
this post contains affiliate links. if you purchase a product via these links, i will earn a small commission which helps to keep this blog running!
For those of you that have been following along for a while, you know that veggies are not exactly my favorite food group. I’d much rather eat cheese, or maybe some dark chocolate! But I’ve been making a real effort to each healthier and am really trying to incorporate more veggies into each meal.
Since I started my new job in January I’ve been making my own lunches and I’m always on the hunt for new things. I’m a pretty big fan of sandwiches, especially when they start with really great bread! My current favorite is a whole grain bread from Whole Foods but any good whole grain bread will work for this sandwich so try out a couple of different options if you don’t already have a favorite.
After great bread then you add the yummy sandwich ingredients. I’ve piled on a bunch of my favorite veggies along with some cheese – because, well you’ve gotta have some cheese! I also wanted to give the sandwich a little extra kick, so I added some of the Avocado Oil Wasabi Mayo that Chosen Foods recently sent me to try out. This stuff is awesome! It’s got just the right amount of kick from the wasabi and since it’s made with avocado oil it has some “good” fat in it too! It’s a great addition to just about any sandwich.
notes from the kitchen
- I always toast the bread for my sandwiches, as I personally prefer that in all my sandwiches, however, if you prefer not to just skip that step in the recipe. If you are packing this sandwich for lunch you can either toast the bread at home, though it won’t have quite the same crunch or if you have a toaster at your office you can bring all the ingredients and toast it right before you assemble the sandwich.
- I used my favorite whole grain bread for this recipe, so definitely use your favorite! I recommend something that’s got some good flavor and at least a bit of grain in it to keep it healthy and make sure the sandwich doesn’t fall apart.
- I actually like using Daikon Radish sprouts on sandwiches when I can find them, however, they are not always available at my Whole Foods, so standard alfalfa sprouts work well too!
- If you are looking for other great packable lunch ideas check out this Grilled Chicken Quinoa Salad or this Chopped Kale Salad.
things you may want for this recipe
Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Wasabi Mayo – This might be the most interesting mayo I’ve ever tasted! I’ve gotten to know the Chosen Foods brand pretty well and I’m quite impressed. Their products are available at a variety of stores – check the store locator on their website. You can also order directly from them or via Amazon.
This sandwich is loaded with veggies and gets an added kick from some avocado oil wasabi mayo!!
- 4 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 4 slices roma tomatoes
- 2 oz swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 an avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup alfalfa, or daikon radish, sprouts
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- 1 tbsp avocado oil wasabi mayo
- Toast the bread to desired doneness.
- Spread two slices of bread with a tablespoon of hummus. Top with roma tomato slices, swiss cheese, avocado, sprouts and arugula.
- Spread the remaining two slices of bread with the avocado oil mayo and place on top of the sandwich. Serve immediately or refrigerator for later.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 475
- Protein: 12.5 grams
Keywords: healthy eating ideas, vegetarian sandwiches