A must-have for any game day party, this ultra-creamy, cheesy queso dip is made in the Instant Pot. This easy dip recipe is made from real cheese giving you a restaurant-quality dip!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase one of the products via the product link, I’ll receive a small commission.
For those of us that love cheese, it doesn't get much better than queso dip! Warm, melty cheese is always a crowd-please so you really can't go wrong when you include a cheese dip on your party menu. A dip like this is the perfect addition to any game day, Cinco de Mayo or really any type of party for that matter.
One of the tricks to great cheese dip is keeping it warm, which is where the Instant Pot comes in handy. Since it has a built-in warming feature you can make the dip and then keep it warm all in the same pot.
Tips for homemade Queso Dip
- Two key ingredients for smooth and creamy queso dip that reheats well are evaporated milk and cornstarch.
- Be patient when melting the cheese. You want to keep stirring and let the cheese fully melt after each addition.
- Get creative with cheese to customize this dip to your taste. You can use just about any type of hard cheese. Want a little more heat? Add some pepper jack. The sky is the limit. The total amount of cheese should be at least 8 ounces but a little more won't hurt either.
- I love queso dip with tortilla chips but it's also great on tacos, burritos and even roasted veggies.
- This dip will reheat nicely in the microwave. Put it in for about 30 seconds on high then stir and continue to heat until warm. You can also put it back in the Instant Pot or in a crockpot to reheat it.
- If you are having a lot of guests at your party you can easily double this recipe. Double will still work in the IP mini. More than that you may want to use a larger Instant Pot!
Can I use pre-grated cheese?
Pre-grated cheese is very convenient and is a great option for things like tacos and quesadillas where you need just a bit of cheese but unfortunately, it typically contains some preservatives that help keep the grated cheese from clumping the bag. This can cause your melted cheese to turn lumpy and harden up quickly so I highly recommend taking the time to grate your own for this recipe or any recipe where you are making a cheese sauce.
More game day recipes
If you are looking for more great ideas for upcoming parties check out these Instant Pot Pulled Pork Sliders, this Cheese Swiss and Mushroom Pull-Apart Bread or this Caramelized Onion Dip.
things you might want for this recipe
Instant Pot - Becuase I'm mostly cooking for one or two people I have a 3-quart Instant Pot, which is the perfect size for this dip.
Instant Pot Queso Dip
- 12 ounce can of evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 ounces monterrey jack cheese, grated
- ½ cup pico de gallo
- ¼ cup cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- Heat the milk. Add the milk and spices to the Instant Pot and turn on the Saute function. Cook until the milk starts to form small bubbles at the edges, stirring frequently.
- Add the cheese. Add ⅓ of the grated cheese to the Instant Pot and stir until the cheese melts. At this point, turn the IP to the Warm function before you add any additional cheese. Add the remaining cheese, ⅓ at a time and stirr between additions until the cheese is melted.
- Add the seasonings. Once all of the cheese is melted and the dip is smooth stir in the pico de gallo and cilantro. Serve.
Boom! Now I can have queso whenever I want. This recipe is so fast.
I was missing a good dip this season, and here it is - just what I need. So cheesy and creamy - perfect for my favorite corn chips. And great tip on being patient while melting the cheese - so true 🙂
I love that this queso cooks in the Instant Pot! I usually make my queso on the stove and didn't even realize the Instant Pot was an option. This will be perfect for Super Bowl!
This looks quite addicting! This will be made for my next get together for sure.
Amy @ Two Healthy Kitchens says
I looove queso! When I say I'm in the mood for Mexican, I actually mean that I'm in the mood for queso! 😀 Thanks so much for sharing this delicious recipe!
Jenni LeBaron says
The second I saw this recipe my initial reaction was YAAS! This was made for me! This Instant Pot queso looks out of this world delicious. I can't wait to serve it for game night!
My mom got an instant pot for Christmas and we whipped this up for the game last weekend, totally delicious, it was gobbled up and super easy to make!
I’ve been looking for a reason to break out my new instant pot and there’s no better reason than this. This is going to be a hit on game day!
Now that is the dip recipe I need to try ASAP. It looks delicious and so easy to make with instant pot. Can't wait to try this.
Oh wow... this looks so GOOD! My husband will flip when I make him this. He's such a fan of cheese dips. Absolutely delicious and so easy to make!
Urban Foodie Kitchen says