A must-have for any game day party, this ultra-creamy, cheesy queso dip is made in the Instant Pot. This easy dip recipe is made from real cheese giving you a restaurant-quality dip!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase one of the products via the product link, I’ll receive a small commission.
For those of us that love cheese, it doesn’t get much better than queso dip! Warm, melty cheese is always a crowd-please so you really can’t go wrong when you include a cheese dip on your party menu. A dip like this is the perfect addition to any game day, Cinco de Mayo or really any type of party for that matter.
One of the tricks to great cheese dip is keeping it warm, which is where the Instant Pot comes in handy. Since it has a built-in warming feature you can make the dip and then keep it warm all in the same pot.
Tips for homemade Queso Dip
- Two key ingredients for smooth and creamy queso dip that reheats well are evaporated milk and cornstarch.
- Be patient when melting the cheese. You want to keep stirring and let the cheese fully melt after each addition.
- Get creative with cheese to customize this dip to your taste. You can use just about any type of hard cheese. Want a little more heat? Add some pepper jack. The sky is the limit. The total amount of cheese should be at least 8 ounces but a little more won’t hurt either.
- I love queso dip with tortilla chips but it’s also great on tacos, burritos and even roasted veggies.
- This dip will reheat nicely in the microwave. Put it in for about 30 seconds on high then stir and continue to heat until warm. You can also put it back in the Instant Pot or in a crockpot to reheat it.
- If you are having a lot of guests at your party you can easily double this recipe. Double will still work in the IP mini. More than that you may want to use a larger Instant Pot!
Can I use pre-grated cheese?
Pre-grated cheese is very convenient and is a great option for things like tacos and quesadillas where you need just a bit of cheese but unfortunately, it typically contains some preservatives that help keep the grated cheese from clumping the bag. This can cause your melted cheese to turn lumpy and harden up quickly so I highly recommend taking the time to grate your own for this recipe or any recipe where you are making a cheese sauce.
More game day recipes
things you might want for this recipe
Instant Pot – Becuase I’m mostly cooking for one or two people I have a 3-quart Instant Pot, which is the perfect size for this dip.Print
A must-have for any game day party, this ultra-creamy, cheesy queso dip is made in the Instant Pot making it easy to keep it warm.
- 12 ounce can of evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 ounces monterrey jack cheese, grated
- ½ cup pico de gallo
- ¼ cup cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- Heat the milk. Add the milk and spices to the Instant Pot and turn on the Saute function. Cook until the milk starts to form small bubbles at the edges, stirring frequently.
- Add the cheese. Add ⅓ of the grated cheese to the Instant Pot and stir until the cheese melts. At this point, turn the IP to the Warm function before you add any additional cheese. Add the remaining cheese, ⅓ at a time and stirr between additions until the cheese is melted.
- Add the seasonings. Once all of the cheese is melted and the dip is smooth stir in the pico de gallo and cilantro. Serve.
Keywords: game day snacks, party dips