This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product via these links, I will earn a small commission which helps to keep this blog running!
How do you make spaghetti pie?
While spaghetti pie is a traditionally an Italian dish, I think of it more of a retro, throwback to potlucks and cozy Sunday suppers. As I mentioned there are a couple of steps to create this recipe so let's go thru them.
Cook the Pasta
Make the Meat Sauce
The meat sauce is pretty much like a traditional meat sauce with ground beef, tomatoes, wine and spices. You can make just the meat sauce a day or two ahead of time or you can make the spaghetti and meat sauce ahead of time and then keep in the refrigerator for a few days. Leftovers of this dish keep well, so unless you are wanting to serve the entire pie whole I actually recommend making it ahead of time and then storing any leftovers in an airtight container.
Cheese Sauce or Grated Cheese?
This fun twist on spaghetti and meat sauce is a great winter comfort food dish and using the springform pan to get that nice, round cake-like shape is a big hit with guests too!
things you may want for this recipe
7" Springform Pan – You'll notice this is a bit smaller than the "normal" springform pan but I think it's the perfect size for most kitchens. Unless you have a huge family or are mad-crazy about making cheesecake all time this works for just about anything. Cheesecake or other desserts for a small group - perfect size!
Mediterranean Spaghetti Pie
- 5 ounces of uncooked spaghetti
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
For the meat sauce:
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ pound lean ground beef
- ¾ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ cup red wine, I like to use Pinot Noir but you can use whatever you prefer to drink
- 1 15- ounce can diced tomatoes
For the cheese sauce:
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Wrap aluminum foil around the bottom of a 7" springform pan to prevent leaks.
- Heat a large pot of water over medium-high heat. When the water is boiling add the pasta and cook for 7-8 minutes until al dente. Remove from stovetop and drain.
- While the pasta is cooking add the olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook for 5 minutes until it begins to crumble. Add the onions, garlic, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom. Continue cooking until the beef is cooked through. Add the wine and the tomatoes. Stir to incorporate. Remove from heat and set aside until you are ready to assemble the pie.
- Add the milk, egg, pepper, salt and nutmeg to a medium saucepan. Whisk to combine. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until small bubble form at the edge of the pan. Remove from heat and stir in the feta until it is mostly melted. You will still see small chunks of feta in the cheese sauce.
- Add the spaghetti to the meat sauce. Using a pair of kitchen tongs, stir to incorporate the two. Add the spaghetti mixture to the springform pan. Pour the cheese sauce over the mixture in the pan.
- Place the springform pan on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with grated parmesan and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove springform pan ring and serve.
- You can use a larger springform pan it just won't end up being full to the top.
- If you are making the pie ahead of time add 5-10 minutes to the cooking time to ensure it gets hot in the middle.