These Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars are the perfect blend of a cookie and a granola bar!
I workout several days each week and so I’m always looking for fairly healthy, easy to transport snacks to have with me for a pre-workout nosh. I’ve been on a bit of a “get in shape” kick, so lately I’m working out 4-5 nights per week. I’m definitely not a great morning workout person! These days, my two favorite workouts are Peloton cycling at a Studio Three and Lagree Fitness at Studio Lagree in Lincoln Park. If you have the option of either in your area, I’d definitely check them out – they are killer workouts!!
This is a recipe I’ve been working on for a while, quite a while in fact. The idea started out as more of a granola bar and had some different flavors in it. Then it slowly evolved into this less complicated, more cookie-like bar.
I like them because they are quick and easy to make, and only require a handful of ingredients. This recipe starts out with blending up the wet ingredients, so if you have one, you’ll want to break out your stand mixer. Once the wet ingredients are blended, you add the dry and pour the batter into an 8×8 baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes and you’ve got a deliciously satisfying snack or even a breakfast treat!
Kitchen Tip: Be sure to use rolled or old-fashioned oats for this recipe
These oatmeal bars are semi-healthy and still super tasty! The addition of the chocolate chips helps to satisfy your sweet tooth too! If you want another great snack idea, check out these Mini Pumpkin Muffins.
things you may want for this recipe
KitchenAid Stand Mixer – I just love my stand mixer – it’s one of my favorite kitchen tools. If you don’t have one, you can use a hand mixer.
8X8 Baking Pan – A pan this size is also another kitchen staple that I recommend everyone have. It’s great for brownies or small sheet cakes, and you can bake chicken breasts in it too!
Cooking spray – While you can grease the pan with butter I prefer using this cooking spray from King Arthur Flour.
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, I prefer King Arthur
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- ⅔ cup roasted almonds
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray or grease an 8x8 baking pan.
- Combine the dry ingredients. Add flour, baking soda and salt to a small mixing bowl, whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Combine the wet ingredients. Place brown sugar and apple sauce in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on medium until combined. Add coconut oil, egg, and vanilla. Beat on medium-low until blended. With mixer running, slowly add flour mixture. Beat until blended, scraping down sides as needed.
- Remove mixing bowl from mixer and add the oats. Stir until combined. Then add the almonds and chocolate chips and continue mixing until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread into an even layer. Bake for 20 minutes; until a knife or toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 15 - 30 minutes.