This French Bread Pizza is a classic sausage and mushroom pizza created on a loaf of French bread! The result is a soft and chewy on the inside, perfectly crisp on the edges pizza topped with a tangy red sauce, melty mozzarella cheese, and Italian sausage!
This is the perfect recipe to add to your everyday meals recipe collection. Read on to learn more about how to make this Homemade French Bread Pizza, or jump straight to the recipe to start cooking!
- This recipe is ideal for any night of the week and makes a fun addition to a casual gathering too.
- This pizza makes a great addition to any game-day party.
- French bread pizza is really easy to make at home. You start with a simple pizza sauce, add some toppings and bake it!
- French bread: You'll want one large loaf of french or sourdough bread.
- Crushed tomatoes: A 15-ounce can of tomatoes is ideal for this recipe.
- Italian sausage: I generally use mild sausage, but if you want to add a little extra kick to your pizza you can use a spicy version.
- Mushrooms: Baby Bella mushrooms are my first choice for this pizza. If you can't find them, white button mushrooms work too.
- Cheese: You can stick with just mozzarella, ideally freshly grated, or if you like, you can add in some parmesan and/or asiago as well.
- Fresh basil: I like to add some fresh basil ribbons after the pizza is done baking
- Spices: ground ginger, sea salt, ground pepper
- Pantry staples: Olive oil, honey, white wine vinegar, dark sesame oil
How to make homemade French bread pizza
I love this recipe because it only requires a few ingredients, most of which you probably have in your kitchen, and it's ready in less than 30 minutes, so it's the perfect everyday meal.
Make the sauce. Since this is such a quick and easy recipe, I like to make my own sauce, however, if you want to save a few minutes of prep time, you can also use a jarred sauce. This makes a bit more sauce than you will probably use for the pizzas, however, the extra is great for dipping the crispy crust edges!
Flatten and toast the french bread. Cut the loaf of French bread in half, then each half lengthwise to make two pieces, so you'll have four pieces total. Slightly flatten each piece, and then toast in the preheated oven for about 4 minutes.
Cook the sausage. Brown the sausage in a small pan over medium-high heat.
Assemble and bake the pizzas. When the bread is done toasting, remove the baking pan from the oven and spread each half of the bread with sauce, then top with cheese, mushrooms, and sausage. Return the baking pan to the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are crisp and golden brown. Remove the pizzas from the oven, slice, and serve!
Additional notes from the kitchen
How do I store and reheat leftovers?
If you have any leftovers, wrap them in aluminum foil and store them in the refrigerator for up to three days.
To reheat, simply unwrap the aluminum foil and pop the leftover slices in a 400° toaster oven for about 15 minutes (maybe a little longer, depending on your oven).
I don't like mushrooms, can I use a different veggie?
You can experiment with different veggies but I'd recommend artichoke hearts, green pepper, or red onions. Or just leave the mushrooms off and add some extra sausage or other meat like pepperoni or salami.
A simple green salad is usually my go-to side dish when serving any type of pizza.
More everyday dinner recipes
If you are looking for other easy weeknight dinner ideas check out these reader favorites:
- Skillet Lemon Chicken. This is another great 30-minute meal option for busy weeknights. It's a one-pan dish so clean-up is a breeze.
- Garlic Ginger Cashew Chicken Stir Fry. This better-than-take-out stir fry is a great way to change up your everyday meal routine.
Homemade French Bread Pizza
- 4 ounces mild Italian sausage
- 1 ⅓ cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 loaf french bread
- 4-5 leaves fresh basil, sliced into ribbons
- Heat the oven. Preheat the oven to 425°
- Cook the sausage. Add the sausage to a small non-stick skillet and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until crumbled and no longer pink. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Make the sauce. Add the oil to a small sauce pan and heat to medium. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, salt and red pepper. Stir to combine and let simmer over low heat until you are ready to assemble the pizzas.
- Prepare the bread. Slice the loaf of bread in half vertically and then slice each half horizontally to give you a total of four pieces. Push down on each piece with your hands to slightly flatten the bread. Toast in the preheated oven for 3 minutes.
- Bake the pizzas. Once the bread has been lightly toasted, remove it from the oven. Top each piece with a generous portion of tomato sauce, mushrooms, sausage and cheese. Return the baking trays to the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are very crispy and the cheese is melted.
- Serve. Remove the pizzas from the oven and slice each into 3-4 pieces. Top with fresh basil and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply