These creamy chicken mushroom crêpes are ideal for an elegant date-night dinner or even a small dinner party!
So, let’s talk about the crêpes!
Crêpes are super thin pancakes that are French in origin. They are incorporated into both sweet and savory dishes. I think making crêpes is a lot of fun, and while a little bit time consuming, they cook so quickly that it’s not really that big of a deal. If you are short on time, you can buy pre-made crêpes, however, if you have the time I highly recommend making them yourself as they taste much better. Total time for this dish, including making 8 crêpes and letting the batter sit, is just over 60 minutes, which is pretty good for a special and elegant dish like this!
Crêpes are a really versatile and elegant base for many different dishes, so knowing how to make them is a good skill to have in your cooking repertoire. The consistency of the batter is the key to good results when it comes to crêpes so I’ve found that using a blender to whip of the batter is the best method and it makes it really easy too!
additional notes from the kitchen
- I don’t put a lot of sauce on top of the crêpes as you don’t want to overwhelm the flavors of this dish or have the crêpes get too soggy. If you like, you can always add a little bit of extra cheese for topping.
- I use baby Bella mushrooms for this dish as I prefer the taste and texture however you can substitute your favorite mushrooms in this recipe.
- Since you are going to bake the entire dish before serving it’s not critical to keep the chicken filling mixture hot while making the crepes. I normally turn off the heat and leave it in the warm pan on the stovetop while I’m cooking the crêpes.
Things You May Want for This Recipe
Crepe Pan – While you can definitely use an 8 or 10″ non-stick pan to make crepes I like using a crepe pan as it’s a little lighter than a regular skillet. They are inexpensive and having one in your kitchen gives you a good excuse to make crepes. It’s low sides also make it ideal for making quesadillas and other non-saucy dishes.
Blender – If you want to make a lot of smoothies you’ll probably want to invest in a high powered blender or even a personal blender which is what I did. But if you are just in the market for a good, basic blender I recommend something like this Cuisinart. It works for all basic kitchen tasks like soups, dressings and of course, margaritas. I do occasionally use it to make smoothies too!
These creamy chicken mushroom crêpes are perfect for an elegant date-night dinner or even a small dinner party!
For the crepes:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp melted butter (28 g)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the filling:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine, divided
- 1/2 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup grated gruyere
- Add the egg, flour, melted butter, milk, water and salt to a blender. Blend on low for about 15 seconds. Scrape down the sides to ensure all the flour is incorporated. Blend for an additional 15 seconds. Place the blender in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to let the bubbles in the batter subside.
- After the batter has been in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes preheat the oven to 350° and coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray or melted butter.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken, 1/2 cup wine, broth, tarragon, salt and pepper. Cover and cook until chicken is done, about 8 minutes.
- When chicken is cooked through remove chicken from the pan and cut into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add flour to the pan and mix to form a roux (a thick paste-like sauce). Slowly add the remaining wine, stirring until smooth. Add the creme fraiche and stir until combined. Add the mushrooms and chicken to the pan. Stir to combine mixture. Turn off heat and leave the pan on a warm stovetop while you prepare the crepes.
- To make the crepes, butter a crepe pan or small non-stick skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan. Tilt the pan so that the batter coats the surface evenly. Cook for 2 minutes until the edges begin to lightly brown and curl up. Carefully remove crepe from pan and repeat with remaining batter.
- To assemble the crepes, add about 1/4 cup of filling the center of a crepe. Roll the crepe around the filling and place into the prepared baking pan. Repeat with remaining crepes and filling.
- Once all the crepes are in the pan, sprinkle with grated gruyere and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
If you want to make part of this dish ahead of time you can freeze the crepes after making them. Let them thaw and then proceed with making the rest of the dish.
Keywords: Chicken dishes