Always have a healthy, tasty breakfast on hand with these mini turkey sausage frittata muffins. They are the perfect solution for make-ahead breakfast or breakfast on the go!
Are weekday breakfasts a struggle for you? For me, figuring out something healthy yet quick, easy and filling can be a challenge. These turkey sausage and mushroom egg muffins are a great solution. Turning them into mini frittatas not only makes them portable, but you can also make them ahead of time and pop them in the microwave to reheat them when you are ready to eat!
Eggs are one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast. Add a little bacon to the mix and I’m a very happy person. As much as I’d love to eat bacon every day, we all know it’s not the healthiest breakfast option so I added turkey sausage to these mini frittatas to make give them extra protein while keeping them relatively good for you! If you want to go meatless you can toss a few extra veggies like red pepper, spinach or caramelized onions in the mix to give you vegetarian version.
To start, you’ll cook the sausage and mushrooms, which can be done ahead of time if you like. Then you whisk the eggs and add everything to the muffin tin to bake. This is also an easy recipe to double or even triple so if you are feeding several people or want to have breakfast ready for a couple of days just make an extra batch. Let them cool and store them in the refrigerator for a couple of days. They reheat well in the microwave.
Why use a muffin tin?
In the past, you’ve probably put your muffin tins to good use making sweet treats like cupcakes and muffins. Expanding that use to include savory dishes opens up a whole world of options for creating individual servings of dishes that are often great make-ahead ideas. I love doing all kinds of eggs in muffin tins. They are just the right size for a single egg and let you bake a bunch of eggs at one time. If you want to check out some other savory muffin tin recipes these Mini Meatloaf Muffins are great for weeknight dinners and these Individual Potato Gratins make an excellent side dish.
If you’re a total breakfast person like me, these egg muffins are an easy solution for a quick weekday breakfast! You’ll never have to worry about breakfast again! Enjoy!!
Looking for other breakfast ideas?
things you may want for this recipe
Non-Stick Muffin Tin – A good non-stick muffin tin is really important for baking also gives you lots of options for bite-sized portions of things like these egg frittatas, meatloaf and other single-serving dishes.Print
These mini turkey sausage frittata muffins are a perfect solution for breakfast on the go!
- 2 ounces ground turkey sausage
- 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup sliced baby Bella mushrooms
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons non-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Coat 4 cups of a muffin tin with cooking spray, making sure each cup is thoroughly coated.
- In a small sauté pan cook the sausage over medium-high heat until crumbled and cooked through, about 7-8 minutes. Remove sausage from pan and place on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Return the pan to the heat; add olive oil and mushrooms. Sauté mushrooms for 1-2 minutes until slightly tender. Add mushrooms to sausage.
- In a small bowl whisk eggs, milk and ground pepper together.
- Divide sausage mixture among the four muffin cups. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and mushrooms. You may have a little left over depending on the exact size of your muffin cups.
- Divide cheese evenly among the muffin cups, sprinkling over the top of each.
- Cook for 25 minutes or until muffin is firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.
Muffins will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a day or two.
- Serving Size: 2 muffins
- Calories: 273
- Protein: 23.1 grams
Keywords: easy weekday breakfasts, muffin tin recipes