When it comes to weekend comfort food it's hard to beat a big stack of fluffy pancakes - these protein pancakes get a nutritional boost from banana, blueberries, whole wheat flour and protein powder!
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product via these links, I will earn a small commission which helps to keep this blog running!
Breakfast has always been one of my favorite meals! Having a good, healthy breakfast that includes some protein creates such a great start to the day. Pancakes don't generally fall into that category but these blueberry pancakes get a healthy makeover from the addition of protein powder and whole wheat flour! I mean, everyone loves pancakes, right?!
I know protein pancakes aren't exactly novel but I've had a few that were either lacking in flavor or loaded up with sugar to compensate for the healthy ingredients so I set out to create a version that was healthy but tasted good too. These are a winner!
This is one of those recipes that makes me love being a food blogger - not that I don't always love it but it's super fun when I get to experiment with recipes like this. I rarely eat pancakes, not because I don't love them but because I never feel full afterward.
Enter this super tasty, loaded with blueberries and protein, version of pancakes. If you haven't been eating pancakes for breakfast these are sure to change your mind!
The full list of ingredients and quantities can be found in the recipe card below.
- Banana: One medium banana that is ripe but not turning brown.
- Eggs: You'll need three or four eggs is you use fresh eggs for the egg whites. You can also use liquid egg whites if you prefer.
- Whole wheat flour: You can substitute white whole wheat flour if you happen to have that on hand.
- Protein Powder: See my note below regarding my preferred brand. You can use your favorite though I do recommend a vanilla flavored powder for the best taste.
- Milk: Nonfat or 2% milk will work
- Blueberries: Try to pick some of the smaller berries as it's easier to mix them into the batter.
- Pantry staples: vanilla, baking powder, salt
Tips for making this recipe
This easy pancake recipe has a few extra steps due to the addition of the mashed bananas.
Mash the bananas. Using a fork, mash the bananas in a bowl. Then you'll add the milk and whisk both ingredients together to form the base of the batter.
Make the batter. Then you'll add the eggs and whisk again. Then you'll stir in the flour, protein powder and remaining ingredients.
Cook the pancakes. You cook these the same way you'd cook any other pancakes, in a pan coated with cooking spray over medium heat. You want to let them sit until the edges just start to turn slightly brown and then flip them to finish cooking.
Not only do these help get your body fueled up for a productive day but you sneak in one of your fruit servings for the day too!!
These blueberry protein pancakes might just become your new favorite breakfast - and even better, you can freeze them so you've got breakfast for the next week or two. Done + done!!
Things you'll want for this recipe
Tone It Up Vanilla Protein Powder – It took me a long time to find a protein powder that I actually like. his one is plant-based and I use it in all my smoothies and for a number of different recipes similar to this one. I won't lie, it does have a very distinct taste so may not be for everyone but I like it and have gotten used to it! It's nice that you can now get it on Amazon and from other retailers instead of having to order it direct!
After you've cooked the pancakes, you can wrap them in plastic wrap or put them in a freezer bag. They will keep for about a month in the freezer. To reheat you can microwave or put them back in a pan over low heat until they are warm.
More breakfast ideas
For more great breakfast options check out these reader favorites:
Blueberry Protein Pancakes Recipe
- 1 medium banana, cut into chunks
- ½ cup nonfat milk
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup egg whites
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup vanilla flavored protein powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Mash the bananas. In a medium mixing bowl, mash the banana with a fork. Add milk and whisk together until smooth. Add egg and egg whites and whisk again.
- Make the batter. Add the flour, protein powder, baking soda, vanilla and salt. Whisk again until all ingredients are incorporated. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Cook the pancakes. Spray a non-stick pan with coconut oil or other cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat. Pour ¼ cup of the batter into the heated pan. Repeat until the pan is full (about 3 pancakes fit into a 10" pan). Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the edges begin to just slightly brown. Carefully flip the pancakes and cook for another 2-3 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Remove pancakes from the pan and keep warm. Repeat until all the batter has been used up. Serve with maple syrup and blueberries or fruit topping of your choice.