When it comes to weekend comfort food it’s hard to beat a big stack of fluffy pancakes – these protein pancakes get a nutritional boost from banana, blueberries, whole wheat flour and protein powder!
this post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase one of the products via the product link, i’ll receive a small commission.
Breakfast has always been one of my favorite meals! Having a good, healthy breakfast that includes some protein creates such a great start to the day. Pancakes don’t generally fall into that category but these blueberry protein pancakes get a healthy makeover from the addition of protein powder and whole wheat flour!
Sometimes when I’m struggling to come up with a new recipe to share I get a brainstorm that becomes one of my new favorite, go-to recipes. That’s what happened with these pancakes. I mean, everyone loves pancakes, right?!
I know protein pancakes aren’t exactly novel but I’ve had a few that were either lacking in flavor or loaded up with sugar to compensate for the healthy ingredients so I set out to create a version that was healthy but tasted good too. These are a winner!
This is one of those recipes that makes me love being a food blogger – not that I don’t always love it but it’s super fun when I get to experiment with recipes like this. I rarely eat pancakes, not because I don’t love them but because I never feel full afterward.
Enter this super tasty, loaded with blueberries and protein version. If you haven’t been eating pancakes for breakfast these are sure to change your mind!
These pancakes start with some mashed bananas, a bit of milk, an egg and some egg whites. Next comes whole wheat flour, which has become a staple ingredient in my kitchen. Then you’ll add your favorite protein powder – I recommend using a vanilla flavored powder to get the best taste for your pancakes. There’s no added sugar – they get their sweetness from the bananas and blueberries.
Not only do these help get your body fueled up for a productive day but you sneak in one of your fruit servings for the day too!!
These blueberry protein pancakes might just become your new favorite breakfast – and even better, you can freeze them so you’ve got breakfast for the next week or two. Done + done!!
Things You May Want for this Recipe
Tone It Up Vanilla Protein Powder – It took me a long time to find a protein powder that I actually like. This one is plant-based and I use it in all my smoothies and for a number of different recipes similar to this one. I won’t lie, it does have a very distinct taste so may not be for everyone but I like it and have gotten used to it! It’s nice that you can now get it on Amazon and from other retailers instead of having to order it direct!
When it comes to weekend comfort food it’s hard to beat a big stack of fluffy pancakes – these protein pancakes get a nutritional boost from banana, whole wheat flour and protein powder!
- 1 medium banana, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup egg whites
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup vanilla flavored protein powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash the banana with a fork. Add milk and whisk together until smooth. Add egg and egg whites and whisk again.
- Add the flour, protein powder, baking soda, vanilla and salt. Whisk again until all ingredients are incorporated. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spray a non-stick pan with coconut oil or other cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the heated pan. Repeat until the pan is full (about 3 pancakes fit into a 10″ pan). Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the edges begin to just slightly brown. Carefully flip the pancakes and cook for another 2-3 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Remove pancakes from the pan and keep warm. Repeat until all the batter has been used up. Serve with maple syrup and blueberries or fruit topping of your choice.
- Serving Size: 4 pancakes
- Calories: 327
Keywords: high protein breakfast