These easy grilled chipotle turkey burgers are served with a side of a red-skinned potato salad to make a fool-proof summer meal.
When it's warm out, I like to grill as often as possible. There is nothing better than sitting outside on the patio on a warm spring or summer evening with a glass of wine and grilling up some tasty turkey burgers while hanging out with friends!
This burger is seasoned with a little bit of ground chipotle to give it an extra kick of flavor. Then it gets topped with some avocado slices and a bit of swiss cheese for burger perfection!
This is the ideal recipe to add to your everyday meals recipe collection. Read on to learn more about how to make these Chipotle Turkey Burgers, or jump straight to the recipe to start cooking!
- Ground turkey: Ground turkey thigh will give you the best results when making turkey burgers.
- Potatoes: This potato salad is designed for red-skinned potatoes. You can use the larger ones, but if I can find them sometimes I use the petite version.
- Veggies: You'll need some yellow onion, an avocado and some fresh cilantro.
- Swiss cheese: I often used the pre-sliced version for burgers so it melts evenly.
- Mayonnaise: I typically use olive oil mayo.
- Hamburger buns: I typically use brioche buns for burgers. Or sourdough if I can find them. Use your favorite type/brand.
- Spices: ground chipotle pepper, dried tarragon, dried oregano, sea salt, ground black pepper
- Pantry staples: Champagne vinegar, dijon mustard
Making turkey burgers
Quick and easy meals are a necessity for summer weeknights and lazy weekend afternoons, so these two very quick dishes make up one of my favorite summertime meals! Both are really easy and you probably already have most of the ingredients on hand.
Make the potato salad. You want to start with this step as this potato salad is best when chilled. While the potatoes are boiling, make the dressing for the salad. Add the potatoes to a large bowl and let them cool slightly. Add the chopped onion and the dressing, mix well and then refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Make the burger patties. Mix the ground turkey, diced onion, cilantro, chipotle, salt and pepper in a bowl. Form the mixture into four burger patties.
Grill the burgers. Heat your grill to about 400°F. Grill the burgers for about 7 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Assemble and serve. If you like, lightly toast the buns on the grill. Top each burger with a slice of swiss cheese and some sliced or mashed avocado. Add any other toppings that you like. Serve with the chilled potato salad.
You can make the burgers ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator for the day or you can freeze them and then defrost them when you are ready to grill.
Notes from the kitchen
Do I need to peel the potatoes?
Leaving the skin on the potatoes gives them some extra flavor and since you are using red-skinned potatoes the skin is very edible.
Will the salad get soggy if I make it ahead of time?
With only a quarter cup of mayonnaise, the salad doesn't get overwhelmed or soggy from the mayo so you can make it up to a day in advance and store it in the refrigerator.
More great summer grilling recipes
If you are looking for other great summer grilling recipes check out these Caramelized Onion & Gruyère Burgers or this Grilled Salmon with Mustard Sauce.
Grilled Chipotle Turkey Burgers with Red-Skinned Potato Salad
For the potato salad:
- 2 pounds red-skinned potatoes, chopped
- ½ cup sweet yellow onion, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried tarragon
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
For the turkey burgers:
- 1 ¼ pounds ground turkey breast
- ¼ cup minced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoon cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil mayonnaise
- 4 hamburger buns
- Cook the potatoes. Place potatoes in a large pot of boiling water; cook until tender, about 15 - 20 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and let cool slightly.
- Make the dressing. While potatoes are cooking, combine mayonnaise, vinegar and mustard in a small bowl. Whisk until blended. Add tarragon, oregano, salt and pepper, mix well.
- Prepare the salad. Place potatoes in a large bowl and add minced onion, stir to combine. Add dressing to potato mixture and stir to combine. Chill for at least one hour before serving.
- Make the burger patties. Add all of the burger ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix to combine. Divide the mixture into 4 equal parts and form into patties.
- Grill the burgers. Heat a gas grill to medium heat. Place the patties on the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Flip the burgers and cook for an additional 5 minutes (until the internal temperature reaches 165°F) Turn the heat to low and add a slice of swiss cheese to each burger. Close the grill cover and cook for 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Assemble and serve. Remove the burgers from the grill. Spread the bottom half of each bun with mayo, top with burger and avocado slices. Serve immediately with a side of potato salad.
This post was originally published in May 2018. It was updated in June 2022 with some new information and photos. No changes were made to the original recipe.
Jenni LeBaron says
This is absolutely summer on a plate! I love a good potato salad that comes to gether quickly.
Dominique | Perchance to Cook says
I've been getting bored with my usual turkey burgers, so this recipe comes at the perfect time! I love the flavors here. Can't wait to try it!
Thanks Dominique. I always think it's fun to add a little something different to burgers!
Pearl Rodrigues says
Everything about this recipe from the burger to the salad seems perfect. Its got the right feel for a perfect dinner meal with family. I'm sure everyone would love it, can't wait to make some..
Cathleen @ A Taste of Madness says
I wish I had a grill!! It is so nice out, all I want to do is eat outside. This looks like the perfect summer food 🙂
This is perfect, I'll have the turkey burger and my husband can have the potato salad! I'm loving anything chipotle this summer, this burger's going in the repertoire.
Anne Murphy says
That sounds delicious! We all enjoy chipotle, and I've just had a request for more burgers...
This is my kind of summertime meal! Easy to throw together and delicious! I've been trying to decrease my red meat consumption, so this turkey burger is perfect for me!
I'm so ready for grilling season! All I want to do is eat dinner off the grill with with cool summer salads. This recipe is perfect for adding to my list of things to grill this summer.
My grill is ready for this!!! Sounds so tasty good!
No lie, I got hungry when I saw this picture. These burgers and the potato salad looks so appetizing.
Monica | Nourish & Fete says
I totally agree - it's all about easy meals and grilling as much as possible in the summer! These burgers look fantastic on both counts!
Thanks Monica! Grilling is such a great way to make summer meals easy!
This would be a great summer dinner! I love turkey burgers and need to make them more often. They are so healthy and flavorful!