These easy grilled chipotle turkey burgers are served with a side of a red-skinned potato salad to make a great summer meal.
When it’s warm out, I like to grill as much as possible. There is nothing better than sitting outside on the patio on a warm spring or summer evening with a glass of wine and grilling up some tasty turkey burgers while hanging out with friends!
Quick and easy meals are a necessity for summer weeknights and lazy weekend afternoons, so these two very quick recipes make up one of my favorite summertime meals! Both are really easy and you probably already have most of the ingredients on hand.
I like to switch between turkey and ground beef when making burgers. There is nothing like the taste of a nice juicy beef burger, however I think turkey gives you an opportunity to really experiment with seasonings, as they stand out much more when using ground turkey.
Notes from the kitchen
Leaving the skin on the potatoes gives them some extra flavor and with only a quarter cup of mayonnaise, the salad doesn’t get overwhelmed and or soggy from the mayo.
You can make the burgers ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator for the day or you can freeze them and then defrost when you are ready to grill.
The burger is seasoned with a little bit of ground chipotle to give it an extra kick of flavor. Then it gets topped with some avocado slices and a bit of swiss cheese for burger perfection!
More great summer grilling recipes
Grilled Chipotle Turkey Burgers with Red-Skinned Potato Salad
For the potato salad:
- 2 pounds of red-skinned potatoes, chopped
- ½ cup sweet yellow onion, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried tarragon
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
For the turkey burgers:
- 1 ¼ pounds ground turkey breast
- ¼ cup minced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoon cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil mayonnaise
- 4 hamburger buns
- Place potatoes in a large pot of boiling water; cook until tender, about 15 - 20 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and let cool slightly.
- While potatoes are cooking, combine mayonnaise, vinegar and mustard in a small bowl. Whisk until blended. Add tarragon, oregano, salt and pepper, mix well.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and add minced onion, stir to combine. Add dressing to potato mixture and stir to combine. Chill for at least one hour before serving.
- Add all of the burger ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix to combine. Divide the mixture into 4 equal parts and form into patties.
- Heat a gas grill to medium heat. Place the patties on the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Flip the burgers and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and add a slice of swiss cheese to each burger. Close the grill cover and cook for 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Remove the burgers from the grill. Spread the bottom half of each bun with mayo, top with burger and top burger with avocado slices. Serve immediately with a side of potato salad.