These Zucchini Noodles topped with Basil Almond Pesto make the perfect side dish or light meal!
By now I’m sure you’ve noticed the buzz around spiralized veggies. I’ve been a little slow to jump onto this bandwagon, partly because I try to keep kitchen gadgets focused on essentials, and partly because, as I’ve noted before, veggies are not exactly my most favorite food.
Then a few weeks ago I was at a neighborhood restaurant checking out the new menu and had this zucchini salad, which I loved, and of course, thought “I should make something like this.” Then realized it would be a perfect reason to buy a spiralizer!! I picked this mini OXO version, as I don’t know that I’ll use it enough to make it worth buying the full-sized version. This one is really easy to use and clean up is a breeze.
So for this dish you’ll spiralize the zucchini and squeeze out the excess water, then you’ll make the pesto – this particular version has almonds instead of pine nuts. Quickly sauté the zucchini noodles and in goes the pesto. Then they get topped with some roasted pepitas, a handful of micro-greens and a little crispy pancetta! YUM!!!
Oh, and did I mention the whole thing is ready in less than 30 minutes?! I really wish I’d joined the spiralizer party sooner. These zucchini noodles are amazing – I can eat the whole recipe in one sitting, and actually did several times while testing this recipe!! Keep an eye out for some more zucchini noodles recipes, and maybe a few other spiralized veggies too!
Things you may want for this Recipe
OXO Handheld Spiralizer – At $15, this is the perfect option if you just want to check out what this whole spiralizing thing is about! It’s really easy to use too.
These zucchini noodles topped with basil-almond pesto make a perfect vegetarian side dish or light meal!
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 cup basil leaves, packed
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoons roasted pepitas
- 1/2 cup micro greens
- 1 ounce pancetta, chopped and cooked until crispy (optional)
- Using a spiralizer, turn the zucchini into noodles. Place on several paper towels, roll up and squeeze out excess water. Leave rolled and let sit until you are ready to sauté.
- Place the basil, garlic, almonds and parmesan in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a standard blade. Pulse several times until the mixture begins to incorporate. With the motor running slowly pour in 3 tablespoons of olive oil and continue to process until fully incorporated. Remove pesto from food processor and set aside in a small bowl until ready to use.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini noodles and sauté for 3-5 minutes until just tender. Remove from heat and add pesto to the pan. Mix until the zucchini is coated.
- Divide the zucchini noodles between two bowls or plates, top with pepitas and micro greens. If using pancetta, add that and then serve.
- If you are not planning to eat all of the zucchini noodles at once I’d recommend refrigerating the zucchini and pesto separately until ready to serve. Then sauté just before serving.
- Nutrition information does not include the pancetta
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 340