For a twist on the traditional quesadilla, this version combines scrambled eggs, avocado and of course, cheese, for an easy and very tasty breakfast! This recipe takes less than 20 minutes to pull together, making it a great addition to your weekly breakfast rotation!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase one of the products via the product link, I’ll receive a small commission.
You might think of quesadillas as more of a lunch or dinner food, but why not add them to your breakfast rotation as well. Especially now when so many of us are cooking breakfast at home each day. Quesadillas are easy to make and you probably have most of the ingredients on hand.
I’m a HUGE avocado fan! I grew up eating them as a kid and I still have at least a couple every week. They are considered a “good” fat and they go so well with eggs that I just couldn’t resist loading up this dish with some smashed avocados combined with a little bit of lime juice.
How to make a quesadilla
There are lots of different ways to make a quesadilla but I find the easiest is to brown them in a non-stick pan. You don’t even have to use oil in the pan though my preference is to brush the pan with just a bit of olive oil so you get a little bit more crunch on your quesadillas!
You simply heat up the pan over just slightly lower than medium heat, brush with a bit of oil if you are using it and put the first tortilla in the pan. Then add in your ingredients and sprinkle with a bit of cheese. Top with a second tortilla.
Let the quesadilla cook for about 3 minutes, until the tortilla starts turning a nice golden brown, and then carefully flip it over and cook for another 2-3 minutes. The exact cooking time will vary depending on your stovetop and the type of pan you use so be sure to look for that nice golden color.
Additional notes from the kitchen
While you know I’m a big fan of making parts of recipes in advance this particular recipe is not super conducive to making it ahead of time. You could, in theory make the quesadilla then freeze it and reheat later. But since the recipe only takes about 20 minutes total, it’s one I recommend you just make when you are ready to eat.
A note about the ingredients
- Flour Tortillas: I don’t recommend using homestyle tortillas for quesadillas. They are a bit thick and can overwhelm the other ingredients.
- Avocado: You’ll want a large avocado that is ripe and ready to eat so it will mash easily.
Want more weekday breakfast recipes?
These are some reader favorites over the past several months.
- Ricotta Avocado Toast
- Easy Chilaquiles Verde
- Peach Protein Smoothie Bowl
- Turkey Sausage + Mushroom Egg Muffins
things you might want for this recipe
Non-stick pan – This is really a must for making quesadillas on the stove top, which is my favorite way to make them.Print
For a twist on the traditional quesadilla, this version combines scrambled eggs, avocado and of course, cheese, for an easy and very tasty breakfast!
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large avocado
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves, chopped
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Scramble the eggs. Break the eggs into a small mixing bowl and whisk or beat with a fork. Heat a small nonstick pan over medium-low heat. Add the eggs and cook, stirring frequently, until they are cooked through.
- Mash the avocado. Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Remove the skin from the flesh and add to a small bowl. Add the lime juice and mash with a fork until combined.
- Assemble the quesadilla. Lightly brush a non-stick pan with olive or avocado oil. Heat over just below medium heat. Add one tortilla to the pan. Top with half of the eggs, half of the avocado mixture and sprinkle with half of the cheese. Top with chopped cilantro. Add a second tortilla on top.
- Cook the quesadilla. Cook for 3 minutes or until the tortilla is a nice golden brown color. Carefully flip the quesadilla and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes, until the second tortilla is golden brown. Remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Serve. Cut each quesadilla into pieces and serve immediately.
Keywords: weekday breakfast