Looking for a healthy, protein-packed breakfast option? This Quinoa Breakfast Bowl is topped with black beans, avocado, caramelized onions and a poached egg!
Breakfast has always been one of my favorite meals of the day. I love eggs, in just about all forms, and experimenting to create unique combinations is really fun! Until recently I had always thought of quinoa as either a side dish or part of a salad, then one day late last winter I was grabbing a breakfast sandwich from Hannah’s Bretzel and noticed they had a quinoa breakfast bowl on their menu. In my mind I started creating all kinds of variations on this – veggies, eggs, nuts – really just about anything you can dream up works.
I personally prefer savory breakfasts over sweet things. Savory keeps me full longer, and in general, tends to be more healthy. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good french toast or pastry, but try to reserve that indulgence for special occasions.
This bowl starts with a good-sized serving of quinoa. That is mixed with some black beans, then I added some of those yummy caramelized onions I’ve made before. Throw in some diced red pepper and avocado, always one of my favorites! Then you top it off with a lovely poached egg, which provides and almost sauce-like topping for the quinoa, and YUM! You’ve got a super tasty, healthy filling meal.
This video from Baker Bettie shows you how to make perfectly poached eggs with no fancy pans, gadgets or crazy techniques.
I think I need to go eat breakfast now – Enjoy!!Print
Looking for a healthy, protein-packed breakfast option? this quinoa breakfast bowl is topped with black beans, avocado, caramelized onions and a poached egg!
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup black beans (drained, rinsed and warmed)
- 1/2 cup caramelized onions
- 1/4 cup diced red pepper
- 1 ripe Haas avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add quinoa and water to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 12 minutes or until water is evaporated. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Divide the quinoa between two bowls. Top with black beans, caramelized onions, red pepper and avocado.
- Fill a medium saucepan half full with water and bring to a simmer. Crack one egg into a small bowl and carefully slide into the water; repeat with the second egg. Cook for 3-4 minutes until eggs are set. Remove from water and place on top of each quinoa bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper; serve immediately.
If you are making the caramelized onions just for this recipe add about 40 minutes to the cooking time.