Looking for a healthy, protein-packed breakfast option? This Quinoa Breakfast Bowl is topped with black beans, avocado, caramelized onions and a nice jammy egg!
Breakfast has always been one of my favorite meals of the day. I love eggs, in just about all forms, and experimenting to create unique combinations is really fun! Until recently I had always thought of quinoa as either a side dish or part of a salad, then one day late last winter I was grabbing a breakfast sandwich from Hannah's Bretzel and noticed they had a quinoa breakfast bowl on their menu. In my mind I started creating all kinds of variations on this - veggies, eggs, nuts - really just about anything you can dream up works.
I personally prefer savory breakfasts over sweet things. Savory keeps me full longer, and in general, tends to be more healthy. Don't get me wrong, I love a good french toast or pastry, but try to reserve that indulgence for special occasions.
This bowl starts with a good-sized serving of quinoa. Then you'll add in some black beans and some of those yummy caramelized onions which are always one of my favorites. Throw in a bit of slightly sweet diced red pepper and some creamy avocado. Then you'll top it off with a lovely jammy egg, which provides an almost sauce-like topping for the quinoa. YUM! You've got a super tasty, healthy filling meal.
Jammy Eggs in the Instant Pot
Jammy eggs are kind of a thing right now. They are basically a soft boiled egg so you get the convenience of a hard-boiled egg mixed with the somewhat runny yolk of a poached egg. I love adding them to bowls, including ramen and also to avocado toast! Cooking them in the Instant Pot is super easy too.
All you do is add a cup of water and your eggs to the Instant Pot, set it to manual high pressure for two to three minutes (I'd recommend three the first time so you can see how the eggs cook). Quick release the pressure when done. Then it's into a quick water bath, peel, slice and serve!
If you don't have an Instant Pot or prefer to make poached eggs, this video from Baker Bettie shows you how to make perfectly poached eggs with no fancy pans, gadgets or crazy techniques.
Quinoa Breakfast Bowl with Jammy Eggs
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup black beans, drained, rinsed and warmed
- ½ cup caramelized onions
- ¼ cup diced red pepper
- 1 ripe Haas avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add quinoa and water to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 12 minutes or until water is evaporated. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Prepare a small bowl of cold water and some ice cubes (ice bath).
- While the quinoa is cooking place the metal trivet or egg ring in your Instant Pot. Add 1 cup of water. Add the eggs. Close the Instant Pot lid and make sure it's set to sealing. Set to cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. When the time is up quick release the pressure. Remove the eggs and carefully place them in the ice bath for 5 minutes. Once they are cool, peel the eggs.
- Divide the quinoa between two bowls. Top with black beans, caramelized onions, red pepper and avocado.
- Carefully slice the eggs in half with a sharp knife. Place two egg halves on top of each bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- If you are making the caramelized onions just for this recipe add about 40 minutes to the cooking time.
- If you prefer to poach the eggs fill a medium saucepan half full with water and bring to a simmer. Crack one egg into a small bowl and carefully slide into the water; repeat with the second egg. Cook for 3-4 minutes until eggs are set.
Updated. Originally published in February 2016.