These turkey burger sliders get seasoned with southwestern spices, topped with grilled onions, melty cheddar cheese and some mashed avocado for a great summer meal or game-day snack.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase one of the products via the product link, I’ll receive a small commission.
Turkey burgers are always a great option for an easy summer meal but why not make them a little more fun by switching them to a mini burger (aka slider) form?!
If you double or even triple the recipe these also work really well for all of your fall game day parties and tailgates.
Making sliders means you can add a couple of fun sides to your meal without overindulging. Salt and vinegar chips are always one of my favorite sides when it comes to burgers but if you want something a little healthier check out this Tuscan White Bean Salad or this Watermelon, Feta & Mint Salad.
We’ll start by seasoning the ground turkey with some fun southwestern flavors to make the burger patties really shine. I typically use ground turkey thigh when making turkey burgers as it gives you a little more flavor and tends to dry out less.
Once you’ve added the cilantro, onion, garlic and chipotle to the ground turkey you’ll form the mixture into smaller patties, about 3 ounces each. You’ll sprinkle on a bit of salt just before putting the burgers on the grill.
Ideally, you want to use a grill basket for the onions as it allows them to get a bit more charred, however if you don’t have one you can put them on aluminum foil. This will keep them from falling through the grill grates and causing you headaches and a messy grill.
I always toast burger buns on the grill a bit before serving. You can just add them on the grill over indirect heat while the cheese is melting. You can typically find slider buns in the bakery section of most markets.
If you want to pre-prep part of this recipe you can make the burger patties the day before and wrap them in plastic wrap or store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can also make them and freeze them. Just be sure to leave time for defrosting prior to grilling.
things you may want for this recipe
Veggie Grilling Basket – If you like to grill, purchasing one of these baskets will make your life much easier. You can grill anything from onions to green beans to peppers without worrying about pieces falling through your grill grates.Print
These turkey burger sliders get seasoned with southwestern spices, topped with grilled onions, melty cheddar cheese and some mashed avocado for a great summer meal.
For the burger patties:
- 1 pound ground turkey thigh
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced dried garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced dried onion
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
For the burgers:
- ½ a yellow onion, sliced into thick slices
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 ounces thinly sliced cheddar cheese
- 5 slider buns, sliced in half
- Preheat the grill to 425°F
- Make the slider patties. In a small mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey, cumin, garlic, onion, cilantro and peppers. Form into 5 equal sized patties, about 3 ounces each.
- Make the smashed avocado. Remove the avocado pit and add the avocado to a small bowl. Roughly mash with a fork. Add the lime juice and salt then mix well.
- Prepare the onions. Toss the onion slices with the olive oil and sprinkle with pepper.
- Grill the sliders and onions. Sprinkle the patties with sea salt and add the patties to the grill. Add the onions to a grill basket and place the basket on the grill. Flip the patties after 5 minutes and continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Melt the cheese and toast the buns. Turn the heat down slightly and top each burger patty with cheese. If you’d like to toast them, add the buns to the grill over indirect heat. Continue to cook until the cheese is melted and the buns are lightly toasted. Remove patties and onions from the grill.
- Assemble the sliders. Place the bottom of each bun on a serving plate. Divide the smashed avocado mixture amongts the 5 buns. Top each with a slider patty and add some grilled onions. Add the top of the bun and serve.
Keywords: easy summer dinners, game day snacks